Thread: Underground Bands And Music

[SIZE=7]1. Do you think the music industry is doing harm to the underground by trying to get p2p filesharing programs banned. Most underground bands would have no ability to share their music world wide without the word of mouth and accessibility that p2p offers. Not to mention our ability to access rare and unreleased tracks by our favorate artists that would normaly be avalible to only a select few.

2. Music   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    The only thing they are harming, is their own bottom line, and public opinion. The very same music industry, that complains about making money, is the making a killing on iTunes. Apple announced that since the start of the iTunes service, they have sold 70 million songs online, at 99 cents a piece.

Now, for the sake of argument, lets do some math. $1 per download, 70 million downloads, that's 70 MILLION DOLLARS. I'm sure that server space, and bandwidth must be considered part of the costs of such a business. So, maybe their profit is a bit less than we thought.

Or did you forget that CD presses, employees, factory space, and supplies (cds and paper) aren't free?

So, basically, the music industry nearly eliminated the costs of doing business, and made approximately 70 million dollars in profit since the first of this year. This is NOT counting the money earned from every CD that is sold, and yes, they are still selling CDs.

Back to your question... no, I believe that 'underground' or 'non-mainstream' bands are getting support due to filesharing. The industry pays them nothing, and promotion costs are very small.. I think, the industry loves the free advertising, but hates the idea that we might purchase less.

I say, "too fucking bad."
    Proud member of MDS

3. Music   -   #3
    old school
    excellent post jibbler, and I think the music industry knows what they have to do but lowering the prices of something they have always overpriced is not something they want to do. I'm not sure I can understand their plans but I would hope they see some rise in sales of other record labels that do have lower priced CDs.
    I still buy albums from local bands, underground artists/djs. and I think p2p is a great way for underground artists to get their music heard, look at what soulseek used to be.

back in the "hey-day" of napster I had 4 mp3s of my old band get uploaded all the time.
    for that reason I hope that p2p never dies and the music industry gets the enima it needs.

:music1:

4. Music   -   #4
    Here is the CNN link regarding Apple's $70,000,000 payday.

Fuckerz :music1:

The very last lines of this article read as such: In response to requests from the record labels, however, Jobs said that Apple is reducing the number of times a user can create a CD with the same playlist, to seven from 10.

Hmm, so they made 70 million dollars in their first try, so now they are gonna change the business model, and take things away from the customer. This my friends, is how the music industry continues to fuck with you. They constantly devalue their own goods, and put the profits into their pockets.

Proud member of MDS

5. Music   -   #5
    old school
    Originally posted by forthestreets@29 April 2004 - 16:44
    1. Do you think the music industry is doing harm to the underground by trying to get p2p filesharing programs banned.
    so long as the "underground artist" doesn't sign to a major label, or if they can release their albums D.I.Y. I don't see the music industry ruining it for them. Espesially if they continue to work hard at getting their music out there.
    p2p programs are one way but there are other ways to get your music played and listened to.

fuck iTunes, fuck the iPod. those things are for the music industries to make money as jibbler posted. I support the artists that I download. buy merch from them, get the word out their album rocks. The same thing applies to underground artists, give away your music if you have to. Then sell merch and at least put on a good show. True music fans will support you if they enjoy you (your music)

Anyways, I do believe Jibbler is wishing to make a greater point but I'm not sure this is where we spark a revolution...

6. Music   -   #6
    Originally posted by Gutter+30 April 2004 - 15:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gutter @ 30 April 2004 - 15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-forthestreets@29 April 2004 - 16:44
    1. Do you think the music industry is doing harm to the underground by trying to get p2p filesharing programs banned.
    so long as the "underground artist" doesn&#39;t sign to a major label, or if they can release their albums D.I.Y. I don&#39;t see the music industry ruining it for them. Espesially if they continue to work hard at getting their music out there.
    p2p programs are one way but there are other ways to get your music played and listened to.

fuck iTunes, fuck the iPod. those things are for the music industries to make money as jibbler posted. I support the artists that I download. buy merch from them, get the word out their album rocks. The same thing applies to underground artists, give away your music if you have to. Then sell merch and at least put on a good show. True music fans will support you if they enjoy you (your music)

Anyways, I do believe Jibbler is wishing to make a greater point but I&#39;m not sure this is where we spark a revolution... [/b][/quote]
    I&#39;m using my buddy&#39;s internet connection, so this won&#39;t be wordy, least, not until I have time to post links and shit... anyway.. I&#39;m all for supporting the bands I like. In fact, I have always said, that I prefer the "play for pay" approach... meaning, I prefer to download online then go and see the bands in concert. Artists who need support, those who are new/not established, have already signed a contract with a label, and they&#39;re salary/wage is already been agreed upon. So buying 1 cd, or 1000 of a given band, puts no more money into the artists pockets. Seeing these bands live, helps keep them afloat, on a more personal level. Besides, I prefer to buy their CDs while at the show. I&#39;ve found they usually cost less at the shows. Alot of small bands will usually talk to you, or sign the disk, which makes the experience far more memorable, in my opinion. Cheers all, shall have my internet back in a few days. Moving sucks ass&#33; :music1:
    Proud member of MDS

7. Music   -   #7
    old school
    I&#39;ll be moving soon, and I&#39;ll agree it does suck. Anyways going to see the bands you download is a great way to support them, buying a shirt or album from those shows usually is cheaper also. Some of these bands today actually agree with us:

New Action Toolbelt CD has MP3, AAC files included
    Action Toolbelt&#39;s upcoming self-titled release will be the first of its kind, playing in standard CD players, while allowing unrestricted access to the same music digitally encoded on the enhanced CD. All songs are encoded as MP3 and AAC formats in high quality (192kbps) Unlike paid songs downloaded from iTunes or Napster, the files come with no built-in tracking or restrictions. The new Fastmusic release will be in stores May 4, 2004.

Fastmusic has stated that they are taking a firm stance against the RIAA and their scare tactics, and is determined to prove that overpriced CDs, not file-sharing, is the reason for the decline in major label CD sales. The label believes that users have the right transfer, burn, copy, or do whatever they want with music that they have purchased, whether on CD or downloaded on the net.
    These bands understand where they can make their money and they want people to hear their music and enjoy it. Once again iTunes suck.

8. Music   -   #8
    Still borrowing my buddy&#39;s internet connection... actually Gutter, I&#39;m impressed.. Its good to see a band taking a stand against the labels, or more importantly, taking a stand to promote the music... the songs will sell themselves, if the audience is there... :music1:
    Proud member of MDS

9. Music   -   #9
    Underground music will not be stopped or hurt by the Music Industry Giants. Many websites are popping up all over the internet that allow the indie artist to host songs and a page on the net for anywhere from &#036;5/month to &#036;20 per year. I presently use Scrub Records & FuNEnD3R to get my music out to the public...the trick is to get the word out to the listeners who have no idea where exactly to look for all this free music.