Thread: Amd Making 32bit Athlons For Socket 754

atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    here

Originally posted by CoolTechZone.com
    Date: 04-27-04
    Author: Gundeep Hora
    Category: CPU
    Manufacturer: AMD

Advanced Micro Devices' (AMD) 64-bit processors are the next generation processors. AMD is currently leading the market with its high-end chips. As we reported earlier, Intel is not planning to launch its 64-bit Prescott processors until the software makers are up to the par.

AMD is now planning to launch a 32-bit processor codenamed Athlon XP Paris, according to a report by DigitTimes. The Athlon XP Paris CPU will belong to the AMD64 family, but will not carry a 64-bit instruction set.

This processor will strictly be targeted towards the budget conscious users with its 754-pin count. The pin count has been increased for compatibility reasons with the current 754 lower-end Athon64 processors.

The Athlon XP Paris will use the K8 architecture like the rest of the AMD64 family and will also carry 256KB L2 cache. AMD is hoping to slowly discontinue the Athlon XP socket 462/A chips soon, claims DigiTimes sources.

VIA confirmed to DigiTimes that the company has not started to produce seperate chipsets for the Athlon XP Paris chip as AMD has not revealed any details on the processor.

It will be interesting to see where the new Athlon XP Paris will stand in the market. The current Athlon XP Barton core processors use 512KB L2 cache.

AMD is planning to introduce the new chip by the Q3 of this year.
    ok so why exactly are they creating worse chips?

isnt XP64 for a64 already out? is XP really screwing up here?

btw the pic u see is a standard aXP, not a a64-32 (wtf?)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    this would be the duron replacement i guess

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    My guess is it's a budget chip for people who can't afford an a64. It also may cut down on production costs for them...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    I like that duron idea that would really kill celeron
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by atiVidia@1 May 2004 - 20:56
    ok so why exactly are they creating worse chips?

isnt XP64 for a64 already out? is XP really screwing up here?

btw the pic u see is a standard aXP, not a a64-32 (wtf?)
    the same reason they've always created worse chips (Celerons, Durons, etc): 'cause the latest & greatest chips are expensive. not everybody will be willing to shell out for a 64 bit CPU this year, so they need to make a cheaper CPU that works with the current socket design. this is to spare the motherboard companies from having to continue to support two different sockets.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    I think the idea is more likely to convert all the AMD mobo makers to socket 754. It makes a later upgrade to AMD64 much easier.

Not sure about the reduction to only 256MB L2 cache though, that doesn't seem to make sense. But they aren't out yet, so maybe that's just a rumour.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lol mate an office comp dont need 512 l2 cache

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    ya but a 256kb cache is just so old
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Lick My Lovepump
    I posted this a while ago in that upcoming chips thing.

@Lynx: 256 MB cache? I'd like to see that

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by lynx@2 May 2004 - 00:42
    I think the idea is more likely to convert all the AMD mobo makers to socket 754. It makes a later upgrade to AMD64 much easier.
    exactly what i meant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast