Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Peltiers

atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    How much would like the total cost to have one of these on your CPU and GPU be? What other supplies do you need to make it work?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    hell i dunno, i just found it and decided to post it... clocker's creativity would be good here

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    well you need atleast around 72watts atleast to power the peltier alone. THe peltier gets hot on one side and cold on teh other, so youll need really good cooling on teh hot side for it to be effective. So you eitehr need watercooling to go along with it, or a really good heatsync...so it winds up costing a lot...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Well if you have enough watts left on your PSU, then just stick it on your cpu and a heatsink on top and it would work?

Arent these things like really effective though? Like veryyy low temps?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    while they are amazing at cooling pretty much any chip, if u dont cool the hot side properly, the pelt will f__k up and pelts (i dont think) conduct heat too well when they dont work so when it breaks ur chip is gone in a matter of minutes

so if u use a pelt, u need a killer HSF too. pelts can withstand really high temps tho (in the order of 130°C

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by atiVidia@2 May 2004 - 13:57
    while they are amazing at cooling pretty much any chip, if u dont cool the hot side properly, the pelt will f__k up and pelts (i dont think) conduct heat too well when they dont work so when it breaks ur chip is gone in a matter of minutes

so if u use a pelt, u need a killer HSF too. pelts can withstand really high temps tho (in the order of 130°C
    hmm i just thought of a cool idea for cpus...they could have mini pelts built onto the top of the core of the cpu, and then the heatsync cools the pelt instead of the chip, and the temps im guessing from such a little pelt would be like around 10 c? probably less actually....and it shouldnt create so much heat if its so small either, so the heat problem with cpus would be gone? or am I worng? i dont know that much about peltiers...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Sounds like a pretty good idea to me...but a HS could cool the Peltier and then the Peltier would be on the cpu..all you would need to buy would be the peltier maybe...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+2 May 2004 - 19:12--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 2 May 2004 - 19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@2 May 2004 - 13:57

hmm i just thought of a cool idea for cpus...they could have mini pelts built onto the top of the core of the cpu, and then the heatsync cools the pelt instead of the chip, and the temps im guessing from such a little pelt would be like around 10 c? probably less actually....and it shouldnt create so much heat if its so small either, so the heat problem with cpus would be gone? or am I worng? i dont know that much about peltiers... [/b][/quote]
    Sounds good in theory, but control by varying the voltage is not a good idea (wasted energy=heat) so for decent temp control you would have to switch it on and off fairly rapidly.

Even if it was only rated at about 30 watts, that&#39;s 2.5 amps at 12V, quite a current to be controlling on the top of the chip. Personally I&#39;d want that control well away from anything important, particularly if the rating was higher.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Guys,
    Need I remind you that after you have dealt with the increased power consumption and disposing of the heat from the plate properly, you still have the worst problem of all to handle- condensation.

Be afraid, be very afraid....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast