Thread: Unable 2 Delete A Exe

Poster
    i downloaded windows XP corp last night and am unable to rename it to ISO. I can cut and paste it to different places but i want 2 be able to rename it to .iso. i also tried safe mode and cannot rename it .

would a batch file be able 2 rename it to an ISO? or anyother way?

Image Resized
    [img]https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/xp%20error.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    sorted, batch files are crap. that or i cannot use them

i just right clicked went to properties changed it to ISO closed the folder that the exe was in then clicked OK in properties. it took a while to load but it seems to have worked B)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    alrighty, well in the future, if you want, you can use these commands for renaming files:

start>run>cmd>enter.

now at command prompt, to rename a single file, type:
    rename [driveletter]:\filename.fileextension [newname]

for example, if i want to rename the shell32.dll file, i could do this:
    rename C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll shell32.exe

another command I figured out, and ill tell you when this is useful after, is this command:
    rename [driveletter]:\*.fileextension .newfileextension

this is useful when I want to rename the files in the i386 folder of the windows xp cd, all of the file extensions have the last letter replaced with a _, so say i wanted to copy all teh dl_ files and rename them to dll, then I would do this:
    rename E:\i386\*.dl_ .dll

this is kind of unrealistic though becuase I would actually have to copy the files form teh cd to my computer, as I cant rename a file on a cd, but you get the picture.

so you understand?

btw, while I was testing this out I accidently renamed all jpg files to gif in my "my picture" folder. if anybody knows a program that can check the files and change the ones that have the wrong extension back that would be quiet helpful

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Just curious.
    Why would you rename files in the i386 folder of any Windows installation CD. Just because they have the last letter of the extention as an underscore doesn't mean they are the same files. They are compressed. You can just extract them with 7-zip

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Xero Grid@4 May 2004 - 19:14
    Just curious.
    Why would you rename files in the i386 folder of any Windows installation CD. Just because they have the last letter of the extention as an underscore doesn&#39;t mean they are the same files. They are compressed. You can just extract them with 7-zip

-- Xero Grid --
    really? well my friend had deleted all the files in his inf folder, a while back, and when trying to install a mouse i tried copying them all from the cd into that folder, and thats when i found out those commands, to rename them...i was wondering why it didnt fix the problem

ill remember that program for the future

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    krome's Avatar triplesix clubhouse
    im having problems deleting a file also.... :helpsmile:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Cool. Well, I&#39;m sure there must be other programs that can extract those type of compressed files, but I haven&#39;t tried products like PowerArchiver. At least 7-zip is freeeeeee. Woo hoo&#33;

ZipGenius is free as well. But I haven&#39;t tried it on Windows installation files, yet.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.