Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tv Tuner Card

zirjacks's Avatar Poster
    Looking for suggestions for a tv tuner card. I don't need a new video card, the Geforce FX 5200 I have is fine for my needs. Have looked around on newegg.com but there is a pretty big selection to chose from. Would like to keep the price under $75. What cards would give decent quality in that price range?

Here is my system specs if it matters.

Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 3.0GHz with HT Technology
    1024MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
    128MB DDR NVidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
    120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    18" Microtek 815c Lcd Monitor

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    first decide what it is you want to do with the card. There are tv tuners, and tv capture cards...they're different.

with a tv tuner, you plug in the coaxial\cable wire into the card, then you use software that allows you to change between channels.

with a tv tuner card, they usually have svideo and rca inputs, which allows you to connect a dvd player, or video game system, or camcorder, etc. to watch tv with one of these you canould plug a vcr into it then use teh vcr to flick through channels.

personally, i think id rather have the second one, becuase it would allow me to play video games and capture video from a dvd player or video camera onto my computer.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zirjacks's Avatar Poster
    Mainly just watching tv while on the computer, but yeah would probably want to record a show or two. So I think I would want the capture card. Any suggestions on what make and model to look for?

Thanks for the reply!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by zirjacks@4 May 2004 - 18:15
    Mainly just watching tv while on the computer, but yeah would probably want to record a show or two. So I think I would want the capture card. Any suggestions on what make and model to look for?

Thanks for the reply!
    u can still record shows with the tv tuner card, its actually a bit easier to hook up...

as for models, uhh, my friend has a winfast something or other by leadtek, its pretty good.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    bob_the_alien's Avatar Bob The Alien
    Do they make Digital TV Tuner Cards?, never looked, but would be cool, I can see myself recording for hours.
    lol
    "Where did he go, George, Where did he go?"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@4 May 2004 - 18:58
    Do they make Digital TV Tuner Cards?,  never looked,  but would be cool, I can see myself recording for hours.
    lol
    ya probably. if not then just hook up the set-top box up to the tv tuner card, and use it to change channels.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zirjacks's Avatar Poster
    How does this one look?

Tv card

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I would suggest ATI Wonder VE. I have one and its very good quality. Allows you to capture stuff from any range quality you choose. Mine has a coax in, video in, and line out.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by zirjacks@4 May 2004 - 22:46
    How does this one look?

Tv card
    hmm looks pretty good, it has all the inputs of a tv tuner and a capture card, so id probably go for it, or maybe a different brand, never heard of prolink...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by bob_the_alien@4 May 2004 - 23:58
    Do they make Digital TV Tuner Cards?, never looked, but would be cool, I can see myself recording for hours.
    lol
    Yes, but I don't think they've got the interactive facilities sorted out on them yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast