Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Participation Level

The PL degrades with time. This way the old trick of making a backup of an high PL value doesn't work anymore.

K++ (re)sets the value to the highest possible value. That value is still a bit dependand on the time, but it never drops below a certain value (9000 something).

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Hi to all.

This is my first post, so if it sounds dumb, you will understand my nic.

I have only been using K++ for a short time, so I haven't worked it all out yet.

As I understand it, your PL is an indication of how much you are shareing, and using 'Constant 1000' gives you an artificial PL, but how do you know if someone who is d/ling from you is really shareing? How do people know I am really shareing and not just leeching (may leeches be buried in salt! )

Any reply greatly welcomed.

Cheers

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    BANNED
    you are not suppose to be worried about leechers and etc. just do your part and share the rest will work itself out

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@15 May 2004 - 03:06
    you are not suppose to be worried about leechers and etc. just do your part and share the rest will work itself out   
    How informative of you.

Doesn't seem to be any point in asking questions in here if all I'm going to get is smart-ass answers.

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    Poster
    You worry as much as you like Dummer. It's a free world and you have every right to worry. I will defend your right to worry to last drop of your blood!

How do you know someone isn't sharing? You don't because they may have denied view access to their files but still be sharing.

MMs basic philosophy is valid - this is a "trust" community and we all have to hope that as many folk as possible play the game and share. It's a sad commentary on modern day society that we live in a world where too many people take and not enough give.

You've got the general idea about PL.

Happy filesharing!
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Originally posted by oldjagman@15 May 2004 - 07:29
    How do you know someone isn't sharing?  You don't because they may have denied view access to their files but still be sharing.
    oldjagman......Hi.

Thank you. I was not worrying about whether people were shareing or not, obviously people are or there would be no P2P at all. My query was whether you could know whether a person was shareing other than by allowing others to view your files, you answered my question.

Rather than a PL, it would make more sense if there was a coloured icon next to your username in the upload window in other peoples K++ showing that fileshare was enabled in your K++. That way you could share and keep your privacy.

I agree with MM's philosophy, and was trying to find out how to share as effectively as possible, perhaps he could have been a little more forthcoming.

One final question, if you don't mind?

If you have more than one shared folder, and you enable people to see your files, are all the folders available to view, or just the 'Shared' d/l one with the .DAT files in it?

Many thanks.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    if you have browse enabled, they can see all your shared files, no matter what shared folder theyre in, including .kpl playlist files. (they wont see your partial downloads though)

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by dummer@15 May 2004 - 16:33
    If you have more than one shared folder, and you enable people to see your files, are all the folders available to view, or just the 'Shared' d/l one with the .DAT files in it?
    You can selectively de-select folders within folders so they are not all shared, similarly you can de-select individual files so they are not shared.

Use the facilities in "My Kazaa Lite" to make these sort of adjustments.
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    nsane's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Error403@12 May 2004 - 04:15
    The PL degrades with time. This way the old trick of making a backup of an high PL value doesn't work anymore.
    you make a PL backup in DK

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    Thank Vargas & oldjagman for the replies, they were very helpful.

Cheers. :beerchug:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234