Thread: Stupid Question

Whats the difference between Mpg1 and Mpeg2?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    i think it has to do wit quality and size of the file

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Out of The Ordinary
    MPEG-1: Initial video and audio compression standard. Later used as the standard for Video CD, and includes the popular Layer 3 (MP3) audio compression format.

MPEG-1
    An ISO/IEC (International Organization for Standardization/ International Electrotechnical Commission) standard for medium quality and medium bitrate video and audio compression. It allows video to be compressed by the ratios in the range of 50:1 to 100:1, depending on image sequence type and desired quality. The encoded data rate is targeted at 1.5Mb/s - this was a reasonable transfer rate of a double-speed CD-ROM player (including audio and video). VHS-quality playback is expected from this level of compression. The Motion Picture Expert Group (MPEG) also established the MPEG-2 standard for high-quality video playback at a higher data rates. MPEG-1 is used in encoding video for VCD.

MPEG-2
    An encoding standard designed as an extension of the MPEG-1 international standard for digital compression of audio and video signals. MPEG-1 was designed to code progressively scanned video at bit rates up to about 1.5 Mbit/s for applications such as CD-i. MPEG-2 is directed at broadcast formats at higher data rates; it provides increased support for efficiently coding interlaced video, supports a wide range of bit rates and provides for multichannel surround sound coding such as PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and MPEG audio.

MPEG-2: Video and audio standards for broadcast-quality television. Used for digital satellite TV services like DirectTV, digital cable television signals, and (with slight modifications) for DVD video discs.

BOT

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    So essentially they are the same, just better quality. if burning Mpeg2 to a dvd, it would take up more space but be better quality.

Cool, I thought it was a region thing, where a dvd from Canada could not play it.

Am I right in thinking that I can just burn it regular to dvd and play it no prob?

D

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Out of The Ordinary
    Learn more here, lots of info there.

BOT

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Poster
    Basically mpeg 1 is older version, mpeg 2 is a newer and more improved version.