Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notepad, Windows Help, System Restore Wont Open

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+8 May 2004 - 02:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 8 May 2004 - 02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by delphin460@8 May 2004 - 02:41
    dont both repairing , just format the whole thing and start fresh

not sure about slipstreaming , but just download a version of xp with it already done
    Format/install? FFS if your car developed a misfire would you scrap it and buy another? You might not give a fuck but Rossco obviously wants to fix his problem.

Originally posted by Xero Grid@8 May 2004 - 04:59
    Notepad sucks. I suggest using something else.
    Yes, Xero, you always do recommend using something because somethiug else &#39;sucks; commonly where the &#39;sucking&#39; program has no issues and doesn&#39;t &#39;suck&#39; in the least.
    Rossco doesn&#39;t have a problem with it, so what&#39;s your point?

<!--QuoteBegin-Xero Grid
    @8 May 2004 - 04:59
    The Elder Geek&#39;s Guide to making a bootable Windows XP install disk slipstreamed with SP1. Unbelieveably easy.

Here&#39;s a step further, if you want. How to create an Unattended XP CD
    Excellent links.

There&#39;s another guide HERE with links to M&#036; download pages for 2000/XP service packs.

@ atiVidia:
    Download and run HijackThis, scan your system and post the results here.
    Probably you have a malicious program of some sort running and it should show up in the results.
    I spent a total of about 7 hours sorting out a woman&#39;s computer this week and about 6 of those were trying to track down where "c.exe" and "d.exe" were being started from... one was the win.ini file but the other was an IE &#39;helper&#39; library file. [/b][/quote]
    atividia needs help, not me. lol.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@9 May 2004 - 01:34
    atividia needs help, not me. lol.
    Yeah, sorry Rossco, I really don&#39;t know why I put your name in there&#33; Obviously it should read atiVidia.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    rofl unless i start seeing MAJOR problems i will not bother repairing it

however... if i open an INI file, notepad works...

and after i close notepad, and i click it, it still works...

but i cant use notepad until i open an ini file first

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Originally posted by atiVidia@10 May 2004 - 00:52
    rofl unless i start seeing MAJOR problems i will not bother repairing it

however... if i open an INI file, notepad works...

and after i close notepad, and i click it, it still works...

but i cant use notepad until i open an ini file first
    Heard of a virus that did that sort of thing years ago - you couldn&#39;t start a program with it&#39;s shortcut or double-clicking the executable, but you could start it by double-clicking a file that the program is set to handle.
    You got an odd one there. Try running HijackThis and post it&#39;s scan results here.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    actually i found out (partially) what is responsible

its a dll which loads up at startup. however, because it loads under rundll32 i cant trace it. ive cleared out the startup menu and the registry (multiple startup locations i might add ) and yet it keeps starting up. is there a way i can trace the dll and kill it?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I echo HijackThis&#33;

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Originally posted by atiVidia@10 May 2004 - 23:19
    actually i found out (partially) what is responsible

its a dll which loads up at startup. however, because it loads under rundll32 i cant trace it. ive cleared out the startup menu and the registry (multiple startup locations i might add ) and yet it keeps starting up. is there a way i can trace the dll and kill it?
    Yes, HijackThis
    Image Resized
    http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ChewieUK/HTshot.gif' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'></a>
    That&#39;s the sort of thing it shows you, although you can set it to show more. You can remove items from the right-click menu.

Be very careful what you play with... <a href='http://hjt.wizardsofwebsites.com/]THIS PLACE
    will give you some help if you want to D-I-Y or you can post your scan results here for us to look over.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    First you gotta get rid of the W32.HLLW.Purol virus - that&#39;s the Winstart entry. Do this before you do anything else.
    The very first item looks like a home page hijack. Spybot should spot that, and it looks like you have it installed.
    Other stuff I don&#39;t trust in there but you may know what they are:
    - all the lines that start 02 - BHO EXCEPT the AcroIEHelper.dll, SDHelper.dll and NavShExt.dll,
    - the 012 plugin NPDocBox.dll.

Update/scan with Spybot S&D and use the immunize feature to protect yourself. Update/scan with NortonAV and make sure the autorpotect feature is enabled. You can right-click the system tray icon and disable it temporarily while you play games but it&#39;s really not worth the risk by not running it at all.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    lol thx. btw im not removing the FDcatcher cuz thats my dload manager... but i followed all ur other pieces of advice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast