Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Speakers

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Alright well ive had this computer, and the speakers for a very long time, maybe like 3 or 4 years. Its a pentium 3 700mhz. 256 mb ram. The speakers are boston. No subwoofer. Now to my problem. The speakers have worked great until just a couple days ago. I came home, and turned my speakers to listen to music like i always do, and to my disgust the sound was heavily distorted, and it cut in and out like i had just blown out my speakers or something. I dont know how this happened. The speakers had shown no warning signs that they were going to stop working. I wanted to know if i should just get new speakers, or maybe i just messed something up on the computer. Please help me.

{edit} i have plugged headhones into the adapter on the speakers, and i get the same sound that comes out of the speakers. and when i plug directly into the computer, i get no sound. a friend suggested that maybe my sound card is blown. great. i have an integrated-everything motherboard, and i dont know if i have extra PCI slots.

{edit 2} i just plugged my speakers into my cd player, and the speakers work fine. so my soundcard is blown. delicious, now only if i have extra pci slots.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Sorry to hear it Orcutt.
    Aida32 or Sandra can tell you if you have any PCI slots available.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    did you happen to update your audio drivers , it could be the new driver is dodgy

try rollback driver, in the system device manager, or reinstall your original drivers see if it helps

i have see this happen a bit with onboard sound cards and the windows update

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    So i should try to update the drivers? I know i have 2 PCI slots open, but i'd have to geta new case because the motherboard lays down, with the PCI slots face up with only like 4-6 inches of clearance.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by orcutt989@8 May 2004 - 09:52
    So i should try to update the drivers? I know i have 2 PCI slots open, but i'd have to geta new case because the motherboard lays down, with the PCI slots face up with only like 4-6 inches of clearance.
    wierd case.

anyways, yes try updating the drivers. go to the manufacturers website and download them.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd try deleting your sound drivers then reinstalling them. That works more times than not.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I dont understand why this would just suddenly happen with the drivers? They've been fine forever.

I went to Gateway.com and entered my serial number in the tech support to find my current configuration. and this is what it says

Media
    Gateway AC-Link 3D Game Audio (10/4/2001)
    Microsoft Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (1/26/1999)

So what should i do now?

{edit} alright i downloaded new drivers, and did the update driver wizard. but it says that i have the newest version of the drivers. so how do i delete these ones and put the new ones on?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    You do what you want. I'd delete the old drivers & reinstall them again.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by orcutt989@8 May 2004 - 12:55
    I dont understand why this would just suddenly happen with the drivers? They've been fine forever.

I went to Gateway.com and entered my serial number in the tech support to find my current configuration. and this is what it says

Media
    Gateway AC-Link 3D Game Audio (10/4/2001)
    Microsoft Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (1/26/1999)

So what should i do now?

{edit} alright i downloaded new drivers, and did the update driver wizard. but it says that i have the newest version of the drivers. so how do i delete these ones and put the new ones on?
    right click ur sound card in device manager and go to uninstall. then after it has uninstalled install teh ones u downloaded.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Lick My Lovepump
    Dodgy sound is sometimes product of a bad/underpowered power supply. Unlike other things, there is an audible difference, you can tell your card/mobo isn't getting enough juice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast