Thread: Another Hard Drive Question...

Ok, a while ago I started a topic complaining about my PC being slow as feck. Lamsey suggested it might be the actual hard drive which was at fault, so I've decided to get a new hard drive soon (within a week). The hard drive I'm gonna be replacing is an 80GB drive, I've got about 30GB of data to backup still.

So, instead of backing it up 700MB at a time on CD-R, I've been thinking about doing it differently.

I'm thinking about installing windows on the new drive (as the drive I'm replacing is my windows drive), then moving 30GB of files from my other drives onto the new drive, removing the new drive, putting the old one back in, and then putting the 30GB of files I wanted to backup originally onto the space I cleared on my other drives.

Is that going to work?

TIA

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Sure. I don't see why not. Probably best to partition your new drive so that the system partition and the data partition are separate.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@11 May 2004 - 19:24
    Sure. I don't see why not. Probably best to partition your new drive so that the system partition and the data partition are separate.
    Cheers. I thought it'd work, but wasn't sure if there was a little catch with windows and new hardware...for the registration, I mean.

Concerning the partitioning, I'll definitely be making a small (10GB) windows partition this time, at the moment I have 7 partitions across 3 drives, but my windows partition is 41.5GB, which is far too big, I lose too much data when I reinstall windows.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob+11 May 2004 - 14:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2nd gen noob @ 11 May 2004 - 14:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234@11 May 2004 - 19:24
    Sure. I don&#39;t see why not. Probably best to partition your new drive so that the system partition and the data partition are separate.
    Cheers. I thought it&#39;d work, but wasn&#39;t sure if there was a little catch with windows and new hardware...for the registration, I mean.

Concerning the partitioning, I&#39;ll definitely be making a small (10GB) windows partition this time, at the moment I have 7 partitions across 3 drives, but my windows partition is 41.5GB, which is far too big, I lose too much data when I reinstall windows. [/b][/quote]
    ya it willl work fine. ive done this a few times before.

are you using a legal version of windows xp? even so you are still allowed a certain number of new peices of hardware, right? you&#39;ll be fine.