Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: People That "get Caught"

There are a number of proggies, free and price-tagged, which will overwrite deleted files. One is Shred-X, which can be DLed from Ziff-Davis. However, recently, I heard a interview with a guy who runs a data recovery firm. He went into all the programs and which ones were more effective, but then he said that the only way to be really sure that nothing at all can be recovered is to physically destroy the drive. He suggested a sledge hammer.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster
    i don't think they will do anything.. but they want to scare ppl into stop downloading copyrighted materail
    ice ice baby

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    Okay, so some ppl got warnings from their ISP's, now, they weren't really in trouble for having the material per se, but more in trouble for sharing it. So fine, burn it first, delete it from your hd and don't up and download for awhile. Also, seems to me that ppl are getting in trouble for movies more or less, so, if you get a warning, stop sharing the movies. But until a problem actually arises, I'm not going to stop.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash, and it's gone.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@16 March 2003 - 03:54
    Delete it from your hard drive!!!
    no no no, securely shreading then taking a sledgehammer to your hard disk is the only way out.
    Overnet Lite 0.53

Free hosting for P2P clients - PM me

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    C'mon guys you are getting paranoid.

Downloading music and movies fur personal use is not illegal (in Europe)

Sharing music and movies is illegal

So there is no need to remove your files from your harddrive at all

It's sad but beeing a Leech is safe.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Muse@16 March 2003 - 21:52
    It's sad but beeing a Leech is safe.
    i would rather take the risk
    ice ice baby

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Same here, chances of being caught are close to nill anyways. But i still respect those who dont want to share.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    i downloaded blue crush and i keep my kazaa on all the time so people can download from then after 3 weeks i got my email from att they said to stop uploading but i called them and told them that i wont stop uploading but then they said that if they get another report from my ip then they will perminetly cancel my acc with them but since then i turned it off cause where i live the only high speed access it att broadband

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Originally posted by chloe_cc2002@16 March 2003 - 05:16
    yes destroy the hard drive as opposed to delete from drive
    i think that is going to far all they say in the email is to stop uploading NOT downloading cause in the tv comercial they show people downloadging music, and so when every boady gets the eamil there will be no one to download from. cause they will have the uploading turned off. and also they dont care to much for downloading.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Let me clarify my post a little bit. I didnt actually get caught or anything. I just shared alot of software and a couple of (popular) movies a whole bunch for about 2 months. I just want to know how long from the time you upload something and when you actually see a letter. I havent been caught (at least that i know of) and was wanting ot know what the delay is from the crime and actually getting caught. that way if say 3 months or however long passes with no letters, I will know I am pretty much safe.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast