Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirc Bing Bing Bing

lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Originally posted by BoomBox@12 May 2004 - 01:26
    Thanks,
    Has anyone got any letters/warnings from downloading from IRC lately? I mean, if you were downloading a screener on IRC, would you be likely to get a letter from the MPAA ?
    I run an up to date protowall, and haven't seen any hits on it from anything when using IRC.
    Info appreciated,
    Thanks
    isn't it illegal for any type of law-enforcement to even be in an IRC room where you get files? most of the time it says at the top of the page that if you are a member of law enforcement, you must leave b/c of the internet privacy act signed by bill clinton.... B)

i think irc is pretty safe, and will be for awhile.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    muchspl2
    you must be joking right, if not anyway

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    You don't think it's safe muchspl2?
    Just lookin' any thoughts people might have generally.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    muchspl2
    its safe becaused you dl only but its not safe beacause of a "warning"
    http://www.snopes.com/legal/privacy.htm

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    Cheers,
    For those of you that use the blocklist in protowall/peerguardian/'your own firewall', have any of you ever had hits on it while you were on IRC?

I haven't been using it for that long but if my protowall is working right (I really hope it is) then I haven't 'seen' any on the blocklist yet.

Do the guys that serve this stuff on IRC go through proxies or somethin', I would have thought it would've been easy to just get their IP address through Netstat and shut them down ?

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    I was gonnga post a new thread, but I'll just ask in here again cause don't wanna flood the forum.

I run IRC through a proxy, now when I WHOIS on my nick I get the proxy IP address. But above it says something like
    [email protected]84L5I * Nickname.

Can anyone tell me what this is?

Also, I have "Enable Ident" + "Enable only while connecting", does this show any extra info about me? I mean, even though my IP is shielded through the proxy, does this Ident reveal any specific info about me that the proxy does not hide? (maybe related to the above question?)

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12