Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Harddrive Backup Program

If you start and run Norton Ghost from Windows, then the only boot disk you need is a recovery boot disk. If you are running Norton Ghost from Windows, then the system files and drivers required to perform the backup, restore, or clone are provided for you.

Note: If you saved your image file directly to CD or DVD, then you do not need a recovery boot disk. Norton Ghost includes Ghost.exe if you save the image file to Cd or DVD.

To use Ghost.exe you must have a Ghost boot disk. The following tasks require a boot disk:

Restoring your computer with Ghost.exe after software or hardware failure
    Cloning a computer that does not have Windows installed

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker@11 May 2004 - 20:34
    If you start and run Norton Ghost from Windows, then the only boot disk you need is a recovery boot disk. If you are running Norton Ghost from Windows, then the system files and drivers required to perform the backup, restore, or clone are provided for you.

Note: If you saved your image file directly to CD or DVD, then you do not need a recovery boot disk. Norton Ghost includes Ghost.exe if you save the image file to Cd or DVD.

To use Ghost.exe you must have a Ghost boot disk. The following tasks require a boot disk:

Restoring your computer with Ghost.exe after software or hardware failure
    Cloning a computer that does not have Windows installed
    ya so basically its saying that if you dont have a working windows (which is what im going to have, or could have atleast) then you need a floppy boot disk...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Making the CD disc bootable
    When you use Norton Ghost 2003 to save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW disk, Ghost provides an option to make the disk bootable. If you check the option, Ghost automatically adds the necessary files to the CD disc.
    If you use cd's for your backup, then from how I understand it, they will be bootable

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker@11 May 2004 - 21:26
    Making the CD disc bootable
    When you use Norton Ghost 2003 to save an image file directly to a CD-R/RW disk, Ghost provides an option to make the disk bootable. If you check the option, Ghost automatically adds the necessary files to the CD disc.
    If you use cd's for your backup, then from how I understand it, they will be bootable
    hmm, well we'll see. thanks for all of your help andrew.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I've just rebooted to test the dvd image disc, and it is indeed bootable

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker@11 May 2004 - 21:54
    I've just rebooted to test the dvd image disc, and it is indeed bootable
    thanks for checking.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    OK I know this is a Norton Ghost loving thread. But here's my 2 cents anyways.

Let me say first I used Norton Ghost for 2 years.
    I do what it says in my sig. Acronis Migrate Easy & a spare HDD has been my easiest solution yet. My experience with Norton/Symantec Ghost was good until my spare HDD wouldn't boot. Norton Ghost was arbitraryly destroying my system files needed to boot. The Acronis Migrate Easy interface is easier & more step by step (more detailed) than Norton Ghost. With HDD's so cheap this is my current solution. I can easily choose to keep or destroy data from the source drive. Also I can easily accept current partitions on destination HDD or change them. Ability to review different & many choices (very easily explained too, in a window below the selection process) in AME make it hands down my choice over NG.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by zapjb@11 May 2004 - 22:17
    OK I know this is a Norton Ghost loving thread. But here's my 2 cents anyways.

Let me say first I used Norton Ghost for 2 years.
    I do what it says in my sig. Acronis Migrate Easy & a spare HDD has been my easiest solution yet. My experience with Norton/Symantec Ghost was good until my spare HDD wouldn't boot. Norton Ghost was arbitraryly destroying my system files needed to boot. The Acronis Migrate Easy interface is easier & more step by step (more detailed) than Norton Ghost. With HDD's so cheap this is my current solution. I can easily choose to keep or destroy data from the source drive. Also I can easily accept current partitions on destination HDD or change them. Ability to review different & many choices (very easily explained too, in a window below the selection process) in AME make it hands down my choice over NG.
    ic, well ill try ghost, see how it goes, if its not that great then i will try the other program. but i think ghost is fine.

oh and i dont have enough money to buy a second harddrive for backup, as i dont really need a backup, i have nothing important to keep.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I don't get why you would need these progs if you have a
    backup hdd internal/external?

Unless NG or Migrate allows you to backup installed software
    so when you upload it after upgrading windows the software still
    functions w/o you having to reinstall it.

Or maybe it's because the image file makes it organized and smaller?

It only makes sense if you have one hdd.
    And a DVD writer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just my opinion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast