Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Harddrive Backup Program

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    hey with all the ptoblems with my computer that I always run into, i like to reinstall windows a lot

so my plan is to reinstall windows tommorrow or on the weekend or something, then as soon as Ive got the basic programs installed, im going to make a backup of my C drive so that when I reinstall later on it will take less time.

so what is teh best program to use for this? im thinking norton ghost as ive heard a lot of people talking about it, but there may be better ones...

edit: oops, meant to click software world, can a mod please move this? thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Norton Ghost works a dream

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker@11 May 2004 - 18:02
    Norton Ghost works a dream
    alright thanks, so fill me in how it works as i wait for it to download.

will i be able to backup to cd, or just hard drive , and how much space will it take up on my cd? and how long does it take to restore a partition?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+11 May 2004 - 23:05--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 11 May 2004 - 23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AndrewBarker@11 May 2004 - 18:02
    Norton Ghost works a dream&nbsp;

will i be able to backup to cd, or just hard drive , and how much space will it take up on my cd? and how long does it take to restore a partition? [/b][/quote]
    you can back-up to CD&#39;s DVD or internal/external hard drive

I&#39;ve just done the same thing as you, onto DVD. The back-up file is 1.45GB

It should only take about 10 mins to restore a partition.

its easy to use as well

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker+11 May 2004 - 18:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AndrewBarker @ 11 May 2004 - 18:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@11 May 2004 - 23:05
    <!--QuoteBegin-AndrewBarker
    @11 May 2004 - 18:02
    Norton Ghost works a dream&nbsp;

will i be able to backup to cd, or just hard drive , and how much space will it take up on my cd? and how long does it take to restore a partition?
    you can back-up to CD&#39;s DVD or internal/external hard drive

I&#39;ve just done the same thing as you, onto DVD. The back-up file is 1.45GB

It should only take about 10 mins to restore a partition.

its easy to use as well [/b][/quote]
    alright thank you i might try to find a small 2gb hard drive then, so that i wont have to use 2 or 3 cds.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    alright its done downloading and ive installed it. it seems pretty simple to make teh image, but how do i restore it? do i need to make dos disks or something, or do i have to run teh restore thing from in windows?

nvm i figured out how to make a bootable floppy disk...only problem is i dont have a lfoppy drive lol. if i burn teh floppy files directly to a cd, will it boot still or do i need something special?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@11 May 2004 - 23:43
    alright its done downloading and ive installed it. it seems pretty simple to make teh image, but how do i restore it? do i need to make dos disks or something, or do i have to run teh restore thing from in windows?

nvm i figured out how to make a bootable floppy disk...only problem is i dont have a lfoppy drive lol. if i burn teh floppy files directly to a cd, will it boot still or do i need something special?
    You need to create a bootable cd or dvd, go to Ghost Utilities, then select Norton Ghost Boot Wizard

and yes it can be run from windows if windows is functual

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker+11 May 2004 - 19:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AndrewBarker @ 11 May 2004 - 19:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@11 May 2004 - 23:43

You need to create a bootable cd or dvd, go to Ghost Utilities, then select Norton Ghost Boot Wizard

and yes it can be run from windows if windows is functual [/b][/quote]
    ya i found teh wizard, but it doesnt let me make a bootable cd, only a bootable floppy that can read dvds...

here are my options:
    Image Resized
    [img]https://filesharingtalk.com/sigs/bootoptions.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

those are teh only options, all of which still want to copy to a floppy disk. each one just gives different options.

any ideas?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I seee what you mean, there must be a way though cos more and more computers don&#39;t have floppies

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AndrewBarker@11 May 2004 - 20:23
    I seee what you mean, there must be a way though cos more and more computers don&#39;t have floppies
    damnit then i guess ill have to put teh floppy drive in whenever i reinstall that image file...unless someone replys before next time i install i gues..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast