Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is There A Limit?

Poster
    Originally posted by metalrebelzz@19 March 2003 - 13:27
    true switeck,
    i just meant on a local cable bottleneck.....

btw i was wondering, is there a way for them to tell who is using the extra bandwidth????
    Yes, they assign each cablemodem an ip address and they have to know which one to route into and outgoing data to. Traffic monitoring tools are not too expensive that I can't get some limited ones even for my home LAN.

So they have to know at least the number of ip data packets go to/from those locations. Where that data is stored only very briefly, short-term (1 day), or long-term (3 months) probably depends on ISP -- but I think the US government wants ISPs to have data logs (at least email logs) for something like 3 months. Carnovore's replacement is hard at work!

If you're too far away from the central office A/DSL lines will have reduced speed and possibly reduced reliability. Cablemodems even at the edge of the local network can manage whatever speed the overall network can bear and/or whatever they're capped to.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Retired
    sometimes i download maybe 3 movies a day but i don't hear anything from my provider so i think it also depents on the provider,

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Poster
    South Cali where the beach is warm and the babes are hott!!!
    yea im about 3 blocks from the CO, so i get great speeds!!! hehehehe lol
    :beerchug:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123