Thread: Linux That Is Compatible With

Poster
    i need a version of linux that is free like i tried mandrake and it sasys 29 99 or sumthin like that i need sumthin that will run on my comp that is 160 gb hd amd atalon xp 3000+ and 512 ram and i need sumthin that i can use internet on and not a live disc i tried it already and now im ready for the had drive based linux pllezz tell me a version is real important

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    All public-release distros of Linux should essentially be free as per the GPL licence - When buying boxed copies, it'll be for the support & documentation.

Check the websites of distros - Each should have ISOs available for download.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by neotheone@13 May 2004 - 16:44
    i need a version of linux that is free like i tried mandrake and it sasys 29 99 or sumthin like that i need sumthin that will run on my  comp that is 160 gb hd amd atalon xp 3000+ and 512 ram and i need sumthin that i can use internet on and not a live disc i tried it already and now im ready for the had drive based linux pllezz tell me a version is real important
    Any Linux distro can run on that, it will run very well too.

Mandrake has free ISOs, http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

BTW, I wrote a guide about finding linux CDs, search for it, i'm pressed for bandwith ATM.

I belive it was called "Obtaining Linux CDs"

EDIT:

@ Illuminati - Red Hat isn't that Open Source, IMO.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    all the mandrake links dunt work

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    /me slaps neotheone about a bit with a rather large trout.

cd 1
    cd 2
    cd 3

there are mirror ftp sites there and also a bitorent link at the top. they should be pretty quick to download especially if you use a download manager and download off multiple sources.

I recently got suse 9.2 which i think is a pretty fantastic distro. first time i have ever had to just click yes about 5 times to install linux. i have a site with working isos and ftp server if you want it pm me since its not really legal.