Thread: Ram All Used Up

Poster
    im only running aol and im using alll my ram. i have 256 way enough what can i do to help turn off program im not using,, only nortons in my start up folder.... what can i do ..

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    go to start>run>type 'msconfig'>press enter or click ok>then click the 'startup' tab and disable any startup items which you do not need.

check out Black Viper's services guide, and disable what u dont need.

then run a spyware scan, spysweeper is a good program.

also to help ur system run a bit faster, u should defragment your hard drive. Diskeeper is a good defragmenting program.

good luck.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    3 things:
    1. get away from aol asap - youll need a decent ISP, and there are many which wont screw your pc like aol does
    2. 256 isnt that much nowadays (esp if you have win XP) maybe think about getting some more, its easily installed and isnt too expensive (depending i guess where you are)
    3. get a program called "FreeRAM XP Pro" - its free and it frees up any ram that isnt in use by windows, might speed it up a bit for you
    <insert signature here>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by dbz@10 May 2004 - 23:14
    im only running aol and im using alll my ram. i have 256 way enough what can i do to help turn off program im not using,, only nortons in my start up folder.... what can i do ..
    You can start by telling us how you know you&#39;re using all your RAM. What programs are you running to do it?
    You&#39;re right, 256MB is plenty for most users - where I used to work, we used to run WinXP on a Celeron 333MHz with 128MB RAM and have a Point Of Sale program, Excel (with seven worksheets), three catalogue programs and several Word documents open at the same time (together with antivirus, firewall and backup programs in the background) without any trouble.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    yep m8 256 is pushin&#39; it .Dont listen to the goof ball above havin things open dos&#39;nt take alot of mem esp word processin&#39;...readin to much google i guess..usin&#39;&#39;a few apps like p2p encodin sucks the memory dry.....follow rossco&#39;s advice with the services..maybe increase the page file abit til you get atleast 512 mb....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Dbz you hav&#39;nt posted your spec&#39;s but memory is the cheapest way to upgrade your system. And yes more is better . B)

Even tho only Norton shows in you start menu you probably have 10 or so running at start up. I would look at that, like Rossco suggested . Try spybot it has a start up utility you would find interesting and it&#39;s free.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    It looks like The Attack Of The Upgraders in here.

@ ck-uk:
    You&#39;re saying that he hasn&#39;t got enough memory to run AOL but the list of programs I used to work with on the systems we had means nothing? Hmm, there&#39;s a familiar smell &#39;round this thread and it reminds me of cattle.
    I don&#39;t think you appreciate the work that those two shit systems did (and still do) faultlessly for 10 hours a day, 362 days a year. The catalogue programs each loaded their complete databases into memory, the spreadsheet loaded it&#39;s pages and calculations into memory. Windows XP handles memory memory much better than previous version and swapping between programs on those systems only lagged when the antivirus was performing a system scan.

If there is a problem (and I suspect there isn&#39;t) then expanding the memory isn&#39;t going to cure it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008