Thread: Hey Clocker Check This Out

Here is a something I think you would like and not to much ether...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    dont like it

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Thanks Ricochet.
    The spec on that is really pretty good...makes you wonder how they are making any money on it, doesn't it.
    As a father/son small business, they can't be getting a huge price break on the components or the software, so their labor rate must be pretty low.

Interesting.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by clocker@15 May 2004 - 16:10
    Thanks Ricochet.
    The spec on that is really pretty good...makes you wonder how they are making any money on it, doesn't it.
    As a father/son small business, they can't be getting a huge price break on the components or the software, so their labor rate must be pretty low.

Interesting.
    Yes made me think. Job of a life time running a business with my son, doing something I love . Oh well I can dream can't I ?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I would imagine that, living in Idaho, they have a fairly low overhead cost.
    That would help...ever consider the Land of Spuds as a home, Peatmoss?

On a more technical note...I recently had a chance to help install a system similar to the one in that PC and came away with two obsevations...

1) I would never use a bay res such as the one pictured.
    Putting all that water up at the top of the PC is suicidal in the event of a leak.

2) Although I can appreciate the improved flowrate made posible by the larger diameter tubing, it makes installation very difficult and waterblock seating ( particularly the video card block) critical. We heated the tubing prior to installaton in boiling water to soften it up, but even so, it seemed to exert force on the card when installed. It's true that as the tubing cools it will tend to retain it's shape, but I was not a happy camper when finished. My recommendation was to remove the video block from the loop...I don't know what the final decision was. I have seen systems where the tubing size is reduced for the ancillary systems ( video and northbridge usually) and this makes sense if you can keep the flow path smooth, but basically I think that it's not worth the hassle.

In fact, water cooling makes less sense to me altogether if used as an extreme performance enhancer. Very few of the systems ( simple water cooling) that I've seen do as well as my air setup.
    If you ignored the performance and were looking for silence, then units like the Innovatec and Reserator make sense.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    The only problem with water cooling is how can u be sure it won&#39;t leak >_<

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by Monkster@16 May 2004 - 03:07
    The only problem with water cooling is how can u be sure it won&#39;t leak >_<
    You check it all out carefully for a couple of days OUTSIDE the case before putting it anywhere near your comp. If your tubes aren&#39;t flexible enough to do that you take everything except the psu out of the case and test it that way.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8