Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Why?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    HEY-
    Boy, I know I've asked my share of noob questions-early on I asked a question that must have set a standard of some type for ANC="Actual Noob Content". I could almost feel the forum temperature drop. This was back in November, I think. Anyway, I didn't post again for a looooong time. Didn't want to-didn't feel welcome. Spent the interim reading FAQs and posts-learned some things, mostly how little I know. This forum was still a resource I needed.
    Couple weeks ago, I jumped back in; learned how to "extract" answers, be a pest, flame, get flamed (it still sucks), make points, receive points, piss off Dude, fetch Guinness for Tilen, and even do some admittedly low-grade mentoring.

So-I think I'll stick around-I feel I get what I need here info-wise, and if I acquire a few bruises or callouses, so be it.
    If it was comfier before, it must have been like wading through molasses-I like it the way it is.

Two final thoughts: 1)Spam=Lounge 2)Tilen-I drank the Guinness; I owe ya.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #72
    I think there are more and more people coming in with one or two immediate problems they want resolved asap, without any real interest for the forum itself or the information they could gather when reading what has been posted before. This leads to the repetitiveness which leaves most "old hands" either edgy or silent.
    And if you read nonsensical answers from the same members for a month, you might be able to ignore it - if you see that "pattern" for several months, you might not be able to contain yourself any longer and start flaming. Again, it's much easier to be nice in a small community with similar interests than a large one, where people seem to serve their own interests, like post-counts, letting off steam, or getting their own problems resolved.

3. Lounge   -   #73
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I would agree, puremind-
    Sometimes you gotta lance that boil-just remember to wipe the schmutz off the mirror when you're done.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #74
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by Bender@17 March 2003 - 20:23
    I think this topic illustrates what Rat Faced wanted to say: it's 5 pages now and there has been spamming, flaming and getting off-topic.
    I'm not pointing at anyone, I'm just saying that it happens.

This used to be different, a lot different...

For comparison please look at this topic, started January 7th, only 2 months ago:
    Signature Poll and Debate.

Note that this was a very heated debate from time to time, and note as well the absence of flaming, and the nearly-absence of spamming and getting off-topic.
    We have to agree that the board's atmosphere was a lot better 'back then'.
    First of all I have to say I had not really noticed the significant change as RF alluded to. However my real life has been somewhat of a hectic roller coaster ride these last couple months so I have not spent the time here like I used to.

However I as usual have a few things to say. First and foremost I was a lurker before I joined and damned proud of it, but I still made a few posts back when I was a newb that I would rather forget. I too have been involved in wars of sorts between members and really think it is always a part of a forum.

Second, the link Bender noted is a good representation of how things used to be, however before that it had gotten worse before it got better. I think we may have this ebb and flow of sorts where things get better then worse and most of it will be due to the ever-changing membership.

Members who used to post regularly have come and gone and our membership keeps getting refurbished so there is bound to be this up and down issue. For the most part this place still has its original charm for me, however I have learned what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

That may not be the "politically correct" method of dealing with change, however it has worked well for me, aside from the occasional issue I can just not ignore.

Back when I joined (and it does seem like years ago) there were probably a dozen actively posting members and things were still just getting started, but since we have seen rapid influxes of people and points of view and I for one do not want to place any negative connotations on that, change is good even if it must get worse before it gets better.

I have made some good friends here and hope to continue to do so, even those that I have had issues with are what I consider friends, I mean a friend is not just someone who agrees with your points of view, friends are those people who feel they should share their thoughts no matter on what the topic may be or who may be listening in.

I think each of us has ownership in this site; let's say we are all stakeholders here. We all give and get what we think is best for each us, so we in turn need to understand that each of us are inherently different, but not so different as to be unable to interact without extreme prejudices getting in the way.

MODS are a good thing and newbs are too, without either this place would not exist, you could not have a ShareDaddy without first having a newb. MODS were needed in the past when a certain dark air was aloft, without MODS this place would have crashed and burned.

I will always have my opinions and thank each and everyone who allows me to voice them and I hope I can repay the favor whenever you may be in need.

5. Lounge   -   #75
    Poster
    I say sharedaddy should be our next mod...nice post SD

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678