Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Crimp Ethernet Cable

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    alright so that time has come that i need to run teh ethernet cable from my room to my basement for the hub. to buy a 100ft cable is pretty expensive, so im thinking of crimping my own wire.

so far i know what parts i need, and the order of the wires (sort of) but what i really dont understand is
    1. how do you get these wires to sit in order inside the rj45 end?
    2. once they are in, how do they stay?
    3. do i have to use a crimping tool, or can it be done with pliers\by hand?

thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You'll need a tool which will do all that.You can't do it by hand (you can try but it'll be very hard).I don't know how the device is called , but I've seen it and seen how to use it.It's very simple.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Dark Ride@16 May 2004 - 09:27
    You'll need a tool which will do all that.You can't do it by hand (you can try but it'll be very hard).I don't know how the device is called , but I've seen it and seen how to use it.It's very simple.
    ya its called a crimper. i was wondering if i could do it by hand, but i guess not...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    This topic might help

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@16 May 2004 - 09:46
    This topic might help
    thanks. but that is showing the order of the wires, which i already know...i need to know more about how to crimp it...i think i will probably just ask a guy at homedepot or something.

why are you using your old username? i know i asked u this before but i cant remember which thread it was in so i cant check lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    It is important to make sure you have a straight edge before you start, so manipilate the last 10cm of cable in your hands for a few seconds to make sure it is supple, then cut the end square with a craft knife.

Then carefully cut off about 2cm of the outer sheath without damaging the insulation of the inner wires, untwist the pairs (with care you can untwist a little into the outer sheath) and line them up in the order you require. You will now probably find that they are all slightly different lengths, but thats ok because you don't need 2cm exposed. Cut across them again with the craft knife to get a square edge again with about 8mm of the inner wires left exposed, then slide them into the connector. DO NOT remove the insulation from the inner wires.

The connector has channels inside which separate the wires, so you can now look and make sure that the wires are in the right order. If they've swapped round simply take them out and try again. The outer insulation should also be about 5mm inside the connector. Push the cable fully into the connector, if the wires don't reach the end of the connector then they were too short and you will need to remove a little more of the outer sheath. If the outer sheath doesn't go about 5mm into the connector then the inner wires are too long and you'll have to trim them back a little

At this point you should really use a crimp tool, but make sure that the connector and crimp tool match, there are at least two different types and if you use the wrong one you will simply crush the connector.

If you are going to try to crimp it by hand, it is best to lock the wire into the connector before you try to push in the individual contacts. Near the bottom of the connector there is a gripper which locks onto the outer insulation. You should be able to push this in using a wide flat screwdriver blade, you may have to hit the screwdriver with the palm of your hand. Make sure the cable is pushed all the way home before you do this.

The connector and cable are now locked together, so you should be able to tap the individual contacts home with a thin screwdriver, you don't need much force and you need to be very careful that you don't split the plastic case at this point.

Finally, you chould sheck your connections with a meter. The important wires are 1, 2, 4 and 5, if those are connected you should have a good network cable.

Edit: typos
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    orange, orange/white, green, blue/white, blue, green/white, brown, brown/white

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Rossco why not just go wireless? Cost I know . But figure in the cost of the cable .

Edit : And the hole in the floor!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss@16 May 2004 - 18:11
    Rossco why not just go wireless? Cost I know . But figure in the cost of the cable .

Edit : And the hole in the floor!
    yes wireless is too expensive. way more than the wire...and the holes are already made (i was bored )...

@lynx, thats so much that was a great guide. none that i have found on teh internet had any pictures, and none explained with much detail so i had no idea how the connectors work. thanks for that, i now understand a bit better. i think i will need a crimper..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Honestly, I think that you could find some patch ethernet cable pretty cheap. I got 100' of CAT 5e for $11 US (after shipping) on ebay. The crimpers alone would probably cost close to that.
    Kazaa Corruption Fixer --> Fix any corrupted CD image, archive, or video file you've downloaded with Kazaa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast