Thread: How To Change Default Search Engine

Hello i am using the latest version of IE and it seems that some adaware has changed my default search engine. When i type somthing in the address bar to be searched instead of getting google to search it, i now have this stupid virutal search thing? How can i set the default search engine back to google so that when i search for somthing in the address bar it searches through google??

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by downloadgeek@16 May 2004 - 10:41
    Hello i am using the latest version of IE and it seems that some adaware has changed my default search engine. When i type somthing in the address bar to be searched instead of getting google to search it, i now have this stupid virutal search thing? How can i set the default search engine back to google so that when i search for somthing in the address bar it searches through google??

Thanks
    first of all run spysweeper or another spyware searching program, and get rid of the adware.

then you can follow this guide to change the default searching engine back:
    http://www.google.com/options/defaults.html

it says down lower how to set google as the default search engine, and around the middle of that section it says download this file to make google the def......download it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    UcanRock2's Avatar Phantom Gander
    There's a small registry tweak to solve this!

It's at one of the following sites:

PC Mag

Tech TV

If I find it...i'll post it later.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The above links should be all you need.

I changed mine to Google, and I placed that option in my Supertrick XG installer because I know that happens a lot. It can help prevent stuff like that from happening again.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    UcanRock2's Avatar Phantom Gander
    If you want to lock your homepage in IE

Go to Tech TV

This + Spybot S&D v1.3 will guarantee no adware will at least change your homepage.

I know I&#39;ve read a tweak locking the Search Engine, but not yet.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    alrite so i tried the google think and no such luck. Also i&#39;ve used SPYBOT and still no luck.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    CWShredder should be able to handle getting rid of the crap, so you can use the Google tweak.

-- Xero Grid --
    <span style='color:green'>Supertrick XG Forums</span> | Supertrick XG - Your solution to ads, pop-ups, malicious code, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i used that program and still nothing, i am really regretting downloading the real version of kazaa...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Your browser was hijacked. HijackThis is freeware that can help you identify the offender. Warning:use at your own risk.
    Sometimes though, the search page you end up at will have instructions for removal. Read their entire page.

You can easily tweak the windows registry to make Google your default search engine. I&#39;ve done this for years on several machines I use. It is explained how to do this at the Microsoft website...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;EN-US;q198279

Warning: don&#39;t try this if you&#39;re unfamiliar with the Windows registry&#33;

piece of cake...

btw
    i am really regretting downloading the real version of kazaa...
    Using the original Kazaa is not your problem. You pick files to download, it doesn&#39;t matter what file-sharing software you use. And besides, your browser was probably hijacked just by visiting a website. Tsk, tsk, surfer beware, and watch what you click&#33;