Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How To Get Rid Of Telemarketers

Hey y'all,

I usually stop them as soon as they start, and tell them to remove my name as per federal law and not to call again. Then I hang up if they respond or not. This has really helped knock off the calls.

What has really helped is being online tying up the phone line!!

2. Lounge   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by slash+20 March 2003 - 03:04--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slash @ 20 March 2003 - 03:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@18 March 2003 - 15:29
    I sense a marketing opportunity here-why don&#39;t WE tape THEM?
    In court-at a later date-"Yes, your Honor, that is my voice, but.......
    Yah... tape the conversations... then edit them later. That would be interesting... [/b][/quote]
    The more I think about it, the more it sounds like "Crank Yankers". Lets refine the idea a bit more.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by Dogbert@20 March 2003 - 05:54
    Hey y&#39;all,

I usually stop them as soon as they start, and tell them to remove my name as per federal law and not to call again. Then I hang up if they respond or not. This has really helped knock off the calls.

What has really helped is being online tying up the phone line&#33;&#33;
    Hey there, fellow noob-
    Here&#39;s a tip: think funny-Ya&#39; know where you are?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #14
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by lurker@17 March 2003 - 09:44
    I&#39;m pretty sure it&#39;s illegal for telemarketers to record phone calls as they are the ones calling you and you have to give consent to be recorded. This can come in the form of acquiesence when you call a company and on there automated message it says "this call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes" or some such nonsense thus informing you that your call may be recorded and then you have the option to continue the call or not...
    Anyway, nice one
    Actually, I used to work for a credit card company and they recorded conversations all the time. They do it to anylize the employees. I also used to work at a research group, where we would call people to do surveys, they did the same thing. So I&#39;m pretty sure that it isn&#39;t illegal, not in ND anyways.

(I know that telemarketing calls are VERY annoying, but please don&#39;t be rude. They are people to, and those businesses have fantastic pay, especially for college students. It beats McDonalds. I am all for playing around with them, because they will/should have a sense of humor too. Just try not to scream and curse at them.)
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

5. Lounge   -   #15
    well said&#33;

6. Lounge   -   #16
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    the best way to stop telemarketers is to not list your number

or use the Seinfeld method:

"Hello?"

"Hello, i&#39;m calling you to ask if you are interested in changing your long distance supplier"

"sorry, i&#39;m kinda busy right now can you leave your number and i&#39;ll call back"

"i can&#39;t give out this number"

"why? don&#39;t you like being called at home? well now you know how i feel&#33;"
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

7. Lounge   -   #17
    imported_The__One

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Leech_Killer's Avatar Poster
    A while ago I was getting nuisance phone calls, whoever it was was ringing me was ringing up at different times in the day and night then not speaking though I could hear them breathing. Everytime I hung up and tried to find their phone number I was told it was withheld. So I contacted Telewest (my phone provider) about it and signed up for a service that they do. It blocks any calls automatically that has their number withheld, tells them that the person they are ringing does not except anonyms calls then hangs up on them, the services cost me £1 per month. This certainly sorted out my nuisance calls but it also filtered out all of the telemarketing I was getting.

Worth a thought if your getting lots of telemarketers.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Poster
    Originally posted by Dogbert@20 March 2003 - 05:54
    Hey y&#39;all,

What has really helped is being online tying up the phone line&#33;&#33;
    Yes, that works, also if they call back WITHIN 6 months, you are allowed to sue them for thousands of dollars hehe

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu

I say, the joke is really funny, but the respond you got on this?

... i might have to get me a normal phone-line&#33; I wanna have some fun too&#33;
    Spoiler: Show

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast