Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How To Get Rid Of Telemarketers

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I told a telemarketer my phone number is classified and that he/she could go to court of law. Then I rubbed fuzzy clotheing on the phone (like it was static building up) and then slammed it.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by oldmancan@23 March 2003 - 19:52
    Three types; surveys, donations, sales.

Surveys, I politely tell them that I'd be happy to participate but ask how they are going to pay me. Then they go on to explain that I don't get anything for my time. I say that's not fair they are getting paid. I insist on getting paid to give them any info....it goes on until they hang up.

Donations, I tell them we have decided to make one sizable donation once a year. And this year is not their year. Further that I don't respond to phone solicitations.

Sales, politely tell em no phone solicitations. If they get it, we hang up. If they don't get it I just put the phone down and walk away. After they hang up the phone starts to beep and gets hung up.

Got a survey call during a family dinner, asked to get paid... the whole thing went on for 5 min but was worth it, everyone at the table was howling by the time caller hung up.

Cheers, OMC
    Sir-you strike the cord all of us should; sometimes the urge for silliness overcomes us.
    I used to try to have a few good one-liners ready by the phone for anyone's use-that worked until we were overrun with calls (I couldn't keep up), and when the callers for whom English is a second language began filling some of these jobs. Ex-pat Indians just aren't as suseptible to my strategy.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #33
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@22 March 2003 - 21:32
    I confess
    I used to be a Telemarketeer
    its fun its not hard work- it ads that extra happy enthusiatic tone to your conversation skills.

99% of them are part time workers
    so they dont really give a shit anyway (unless new)
    Dont ever give your postal number
    Dont tell them your average income (this question is generally stated "what type of cars are there in your street"
    If they say it takes 5 minutes it takes alot more
    if they want women they call during the day if they want men its during tv sport events.
    Telemarkateers may not remove your number
    unless there is a language problem
    or too old (language problem)
    or the person is dead
    they are not allowed to talk longer than the expected time of the survey (old people always want to talk for hours)
    They may get your phone number via your visa card-when you join a club hotels-etc
    Some "Statisitics" polls are actually aimed at getting you consiounce about a company.
    Good god. I used to do Telemarketing for a Kitchen company, and gave up after 2 weeks.

Worst point was where i nearly fell asleep at my desk, dialled the same guy twice and got a mouthful of verbal abuse.

At that point i decided it wasnt fun, the people around me were all 16 ish (i was 21), it was all round, generally annoying.

And yes, i made 3 sales in 2 weeks which is very good apparently.

And to quash some urban myths: they dont get your name from VISA collections, i used a BT Phonebook. Your calls arnt recorded. Considering these people have to get at least 250-500 calls done in a 6 hour session, and there are 10-20 people in the room, can u imagine the amounts of tape used?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by chr1sp@24 March 2003 - 10:03
    Worst point was where i nearly fell asleep at my desk, dialled the same guy twice and got a mouthful of verbal abuse.

At that point i decided it wasnt fun, the people around me were all 16 ish (i was 21), it was all round, generally annoying.

And yes, i made 3 sales in 2 weeks which is very good apparently.

And to quash some urban myths: they dont get your name from VISA collections, i used a BT Phonebook. Your calls arnt recorded. Considering these people have to get at least 250-500 calls done in a 6 hour session, and there are 10-20 people in the room, can u imagine the amounts of tape used?
    Wow-
    Sounds like a nightmare, but to read it is hilarious. I mean, you can't play in the bigs with a .150 average, but you'd be a kick-ass telemarketer.

Do they have cheerleaders? Sounds like they need 'em.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234