Thread: Ram Help

i just got some new ram for my computer. ever since i put it in though my computer has been crashing alot. its crashed like atleast 6-7 times just today. is my computer rejecting the ram?? when the error screen comes up theres a bunch of numbers and Vcache and Vfat come up is it my new ram i put in or what??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Let's see........well can't be of much help without motherboard type, ram type?? Did you check your mobo and what type of Ram is compatible? Are you using the same and not mixing? i.e. all PC100/PC133/DDR2100 and not something like PC100/PC133, PC133/DDR2100............Post what motherboard and Ram you have, but I bet your board manual will tell you if you have the right stuff or not...
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Out of The Ordinary
    Find Your motherboard manual and go back to the store with Your receipt and let Them help You out.
    CP pretty much said everything, good luck Bowen!

BOT

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    its K-byte ram pc-100 sdram. im unsure of my motherboard type its a gateway tho if that help

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Check your BIOS to see if there are any settings for RAM timings, ensure these are set to normal or safe or SPD..(CAS latency should be higher than CL2). problems can arise if people try to "overclock their pc's by cranking up the timings on standard RAM modules.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by Bowen@18 March 2003 - 04:13
    its K-byte ram pc-100 sdram. im unsure of my motherboard type its a gateway tho if that help 
    Well with it being PC100, I'm sure it isn't an issue, but you'll have to make sure that Gateway doesn't have specific types to use and that what you have is designed to run with your pc. Using something not recommended could create issues. I know Compaq is/was that way, couldn't just use any over the counter Ram, had to be specific. Another possibility on your motherboard is to check the Gateway website under the model you have. You might be able to get the motherboard specs, if not try Belarc Advisor. It will give you a detailed breakdown of what you have on your system. Install it, run it and check out the results, should tell you the motherboard type along with just about anything else about your devices, software, etc.....
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"