Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: 1000 Reply Threads

  1. #1
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,671
    I searched for a similar thread but could not find
    just wanted to know why they get abolished?

  2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    newcster68's Avatar Taxicab Co. Owner
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,668
    Originally posted by Zedaxax@10 June 2004 - 13:52
    I searched for a similar thread but could not find
    just wanted to know why they get abolished?
    Here I go again..

    Maybe cause nobody really cares about how many 1000 Reply Threads they make.

    OUCH! Dont Flame now...

  3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    13,671
    ..i mean whats the point if, hey get reopened with "Level2" -"Level3" Sequals

    why not simply let them die when people get bored

    i know about the "Rule" - repetetive meaningless posts threads being closed

  4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Retired
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14,058
    when you load a big topic it takes alot of memory so it can cause lag 2 the board.

  5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    229
    Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@10 June 2004 - 21:38
    when you load a big topic it takes alot of memory so it can cause lag 2 the board.
    Why not improve speeds by removing older posts?
    Overnet Lite 0.53

    Free hosting for P2P clients - PM me

  6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Poster
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    North-east england UK
    Posts
    2,661
    Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@10 June 2004 - 21:38
    when you load a big topic it takes alot of memory so it can cause lag 2 the board.
    i wud prefer the topics to no lagg

  7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia N.S.W
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,790
    Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@11 June 2004 - 07:38
    when you load a big topic it takes alot of memory so it can cause lag 2 the board.
    OK I understand that but question

    what difference is it opening up 1 page of a 2 page thread and opening 1 page of a 100 page thread???

    isn't it only opening the page that matters when not actual all opening up 100 pages at once??

    another thing what if 500 members at once are all browsing just a 1 page thread at once whats the difference??

  8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Port Dover, Ontario
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,413
    If I'm not mistaken, 7th's reason for doing this (closing threads after 1000 replies) was because it actually downloads the entire thread when you open it - if 10 people are opening the thread... blah blah blah

    I honestly don't know if this is actually the case, I don't know the board software well enough to say for sure.

    The topics might be gone now, as old closed topics tend to get pruned to free up space in the database.

  9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Out of The Ordinary
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,113
    If there is a post with a lot of replies (1000 or more) then it can overload the server because the server does load every single post into the RAM and just shows X posts per page - This means that if there is a 1000 posts topic and a user does only read the latest addiotion it does still load all 1000 into the ram.

    Normally posts don't get that big but I think it would be better to do some "Part I" / "Part 2" / "Part 3" etc stuff with huge topics.

    If a topic reaches more than 2500 posts then it is over anyway if 10 people browse (PHPBB developer told me that in a chat) cause then 10 users use more or less all available resources.
    BOT

  10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Australia N.S.W
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11,790
    Originally posted by [B][O][T]@11 June 2004 - 16:10
    If there is a post with a lot of replies (1000 or more) then it can overload the server because the server does load every single post into the RAM and just shows X posts per page - This means that if there is a 1000 posts topic and a user does only read the latest addiotion it does still load all 1000 into the ram.

    Normally posts don't get that big but I think it would be better to do some "Part I" / "Part 2" / "Part 3" etc stuff with huge topics.

    If a topic reaches more than 2500 posts then it is over anyway if 10 people browse (PHPBB developer told me that in a chat) cause then 10 users use more or less all available resources.
    BOT
    cheers

    thanks BOT

    understand now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •