Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ronald Reagan On Everything Thread

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    vid-

I don't know how, but you have missed my point about the deficit; the President proposes, but does not spend-the House does.

The deficit was their fault, not Reagan's.

Ronnie built them a real nice bike, and they rode the wheels off it.

Out of deference to my colleague Busyman, I will state the former is my opinion.

Busyman-

Can you support this statement of yours?

On the flip, ole Ron had shitty policies. The rich got richer under both regimes. The middle class just got more of their share under ole Will.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by j2k4@15 June 2004 - 13:48
    vid-

I don't know how, but you have missed my point about the deficit; the President proposes, but does not spend-the House does.

The deficit was their fault, not Reagan's.

Ronnie built them a real nice bike, and they rode the wheels off it.

so what the heck is the point of having a president if he is just a toothless figurehead?
    can we now take it from this that you will never blame a democratic president for the "mess" a republican inherits? Will we no longer be hearing about "billy boy" ?
    it was reagans job to convince the house to follow his policies...and he was actually good at that...he even took advantage of the leverage that being shot gave him, this is not a swipe it was something that he took advantage of. If the house chose not to play ball he should have looked at other ways that would achieve his goals instead of blindly following a plan that as you suggest was doomed to failure because of the houses actions.
    Although I can see how you would interpret what i posted as a mis understanding of your point. i don't believe i missed your point rather i chose to answer it thus from an earlier post
    QUOTE j2 
    Anyway, Reagan kinda had to allow it to go on, 'cuz he had defense to worry about,

QUOTE vid
    this is an interesting statement and to me it says that you felt that Reagan was unable to multi-task. Never should it happen that something is "allowed to go on" because of other things. Perhaps that's one of the problems we are seeing now.
    put simply, and this comes from someone that knows the meaning of the phrase...the buck stops here

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Originally posted by vidcc@15 June 2004 - 02:13
    i have stated before that clinton was actually a good president who balanced the books ( can't quote from the lost posts) i feel one of the finest of the century.
    I’ve been away at the beach for a few day and I missed most this great discussion.

I have to agree with you on that vidcc Clinton was a fine man. It takes a person with great dignity and honor to lie under oath during questioning. What an upstanding individual.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@15 June 2004 - 19:40

I have to agree with you on that vidcc Clinton was a fine man. It takes a person with great dignity and honor to lie under oath during questioning. What an upstanding individual.
    would it have been better if he just said he didn't remember having sexual relations? or does amnesia just work for republicans

ah but i was talking about his political achievements and not his trouser achievements which after all is what's important.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by vidcc@15 June 2004 - 23:29
    the buck stops here
    That reminds me, anyone seen Hobbes lately?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Originally posted by lynx@16 June 2004 - 00:31
    That reminds me, anyone seen Hobbes lately?
    I haven't seen him but this guy has been hanging about a lot

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    vid-

Any President, of whatever stripe, must earn his teeth before he can use them.

The teeth are what allows him to be a leader.

Case in point:

Jimmy Carter, while possessed of very large and prominent teeth, knew nothing about how to use them; that is why Reagan inherited such "malaise"-Carter couldn't have broken Congress with a hammer.

Carter's legacy is, and shall forever be, a little thing called the "Misery Index", which term is coincident with the mention of his name; the Misery Index was born and died with his Presidency.

Reagan entered office with teeth that prompted the Iranians to free the hostages within minutes of Reagan's inauguration, and please don't raise any BS about a "prearrangement". The Iranians were scared.

To the extent Reagan was a leader, he got the mostly Democrat congress to indulge him on the one hand ("Help me destroy Communism with money, rather than lives") and trade-off economic growth against a deficit he most certainly didn't want, but which was of a lower priority than ending the Cold War.

If you remember, when Reagan took office, this country was resigned to a life of living with the nuclear threat posed by the USSR; popular thought (not opinion; important distinction) held that the Russians were just too big, and that we would, in due time, be eclipsed.

Reagan had other ideas about that, and the Dems, who were sure he wouldn't succeed, were obliging (albeit nervously) about allowing him to tilt at the windmill of Communism, in exchange for all the pork they dragged home from his tax cuts.

They could have (and would have) opposed his efforts if they thought he would succeed.

They misjudged him, didn't they?

Here's a little acknowledged fact:

When Reagan hosed PATCO (which union, ironically, was the only labor union in the U.S. to back his candidacy), they were very surprised, when came time to go on strike; they assumed they had (wink, wink) secured a quid pro quo.

They found out they made a bit of a mistake.

The upshot of this was that the Russians took note that Reagan meant what he said, which fact carried great weight when he and Gorbachev finally got together.

As far as "Billy Boy" is concerned, I will say he was a resounding success compared to Carter, but my disgust at his personal comportment precludes me waving his banner, sorry.

There are some qualities (or lack thereof) I can't abide in a President.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by j2k4@16 June 2004 - 20:56

Case in point:

Jimmy Carter, while possessed of very large and prominent teeth, knew nothing about how to use them; that is why Reagan inherited such "malaise"-Carter couldn't have broken Congress with a hammer.

Tell me that's your's J2.

Should be bloody-well framed.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Gorbachev was talking about the Sinatra Doctrine long before Reagan was President and he was Premier.. he was advocating it in the 70's.

Quite frankly, Gorbachev deserves the credit for ending the Cold War, not Reagan... with a Premier that wanted reform and non intervention in Warsaw Pact countries it was a matter of time only before the Republics fell away from Russia.

Reagan just happened to be the President at the time, and (as any President would have) helped the Russians towards an Open Market instead of hindering them.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Originally posted by chalice+16 June 2004 - 15:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice @ 16 June 2004 - 15:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@16 June 2004 - 20:56

Case in point:

Jimmy Carter, while possessed of very large and prominent teeth, knew nothing about how to use them; that is why Reagan inherited such "malaise"-Carter couldn&#39;t have broken Congress with a hammer.

Tell me that&#39;s your&#39;s J2.

Should be bloody-well framed. [/b][/quote]
    It is, chalice, and thank you.

-Mark Twain

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast