Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Athlete Of The Century

manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by -Archwolf-@16 June 2004 - 13:00
    but if you give him a bit help by giving him BAR/Renault/Mclaren/Williams
    a bit of help??

You've just agreed with my assertion that it's more to do with the car rather than the driver's skills
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    Originally posted by yonki+13 June 2004 - 21:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (yonki &#064; 13 June 2004 - 21:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Busyman@12 June 2004 - 09:21
    <!--QuoteBegin-soopaman
    @11 June 2004 - 17:57
    I watch a lot of sport and Jordan played Basketball better than Borg played Tennis, Pele played Football, etc. The ultimate exponent of his art.

I never thought of it that way.
    If you think of it that way then Sir Don Bradman is the best.
    In the world of sport, there occasionally comes a being of superlative skill, whose exploits in the game define him or her as even greater than the great players. Michael Jordan in basketball and boxer Muhammad Ali were two of that mould, breaking through the supposed boundaries of their sport. In the world of cricket, Don Bradman was such a man. At the end of the twentieth century, just over a year before the great mans death, nobody playing the game had got within spitting distance of his unparalleled batting record. He averaged 99.94 in all Test Matches the five-day form of the game that is regarded as the most demanding. Compare his average to the best of the rest, who hover around the 50-60 mark. There can be little doubt that these others were, and according to those still playing, are, truly great players. Realising that Bradmans Test average is nearly twice their average gives you some idea of the phenomenon that was The Don.
    [/b][/quote]

I&#39;m positive that I mentioned Don Bradman in my list&#33;&#33;

You make a fairly good point about Bradman being the best Cricketer but as for best athlete (which is the original question) he in no way is as athletic as Jordan or Clay. Did Bradman change the way Cricket is played - No&#33;&#33; Jordan changed the face of Basketball with his transition style and aerial moves. Clay never changed the way people Box. Jordans influence will be felt in Basketball far longer than Bradmans at Cricket.
    Signature removed

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    To me athlete of the century has to be athletic not just the best a particular sport. My pick of Jordan is not merely because I like basketball.

Race care drivers..not very athletic

Baseball players....if they have dominated let&#39;s say more than one defensive position in addition to offense. Otherwise they are a one trick pony.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #44
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Originally posted by Busyman@18 June 2004 - 04:48
    To me athlete of the century has to be athletic not just the best a particular sport. My pick of Jordan is not merely because I like basketball.

Baseball players....if they have dominated let&#39;s say more than one defensive position in addition to offense. Otherwise they are a one trick pony.
    This is why I chose Mohammed Ali.

Outside of being the most charismatic and clever boxer I&#39;ve ever seen, he was a poet, wit, social reactionary and generous to a fault. He transcended his sport.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Originally posted by chalice+18 June 2004 - 09:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chalice @ 18 June 2004 - 09:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@18 June 2004 - 04:48

This is why I chose Mohammed Ali.

Outside of being the most charismatic and clever boxer I&#39;ve ever seen, he was a poet, wit, social reactionary and generous to a fault. He transcended his sport. [/b][/quote]

It wasn&#39;t very clever fighting Larry Holmes&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Signature removed

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by soopaman@17 June 2004 - 20:52
    You make a fairly good point about Bradman being the best Cricketer but as for best athlete (which is the original question) he in no way is as athletic as Jordan or Clay. Did Bradman change the way Cricket is played - No&#33;&#33; Jordan changed the face of Basketball with his transition style and aerial moves. Clay never changed the way people Box. Jordans influence will be felt in Basketball far longer than Bradmans at Cricket.
    I wouldn&#39;t say Bradman was the best cricketer of all time, however I would say he was the best batsman of all time.

To get the best cricketer of all time presumably you&#39;d have to look for an all-rounder, i.e. someone who can bat, bowl and field well, names like Garfield Sobers, Ian Botham, Kapil Dev, etc, spring to mind..

It&#39;s kind of a microcosm of the same argument as who is the best athlete of all time really&#33;

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Originally posted by chalice@18 June 2004 - 08:32

Outside of being the most charismatic and clever boxer I&#39;ve ever seen, he was a poet, wit, social reactionary and generous to a fault. He transcended his sport.
    Frank Bruno has transcended his sport, however that does not make him a great athlete...

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Originally posted by GepperRankins@16 June 2004 - 10:36
    athlete..... i dunno

but no-one in any sport dominates as much as micheal schumacher
    I beg to differ...

Phil Taylor has Won the World Darts championship for 11 of the last 14 years&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Shuey can&#39;t quite beat that.... yet

9. Lounge   -   #49
    Lance Armstrong is also a good athlete. Most athletes stop playing when they get sick. Lance Armstrong somehow got even better. He is a great athlete and an American hero.

Jeanette Lee - She is really good at pool (#1 in the wpba) and she is really hot.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345