Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dustbuster Xp 2.8

zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Finally found a direct download.

h**p://www.computertotaal.nl/downloads/download.cfm?id=155

DustBuster (freeware) is a garbage file removing utility for M*crosoft Windows operating systems. It searches for junk files and temp files that are of no use and are just taking space on your hard drive. Based on a fuzzy logic scanning technology, DustBuster cleans over 700 different types of useless temporary files and directories in a single click, detecting and deleting all these unneeded garbage files automatically. This will increase hard disk space on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP. The integrated SensibleScan search engine does not interfere with system files or installed applications: it gives you the freedom to clean up disk space simply and securely in no time, enhancing your system's performance, so you can focus on what's important to you.

DustBuster analyzes in full automatic mode the content of your hard drive and finds and deletes a wide range of files while safeguarding the integrity of the operating system and the installed applications.

No configuration is required as DustBuster is developed for reducing the interaction with the user. Enjoy the power of cleaning on Windows 98 Second Edition, Millennium Edition, 2000 Professional and Server, XP Home and Professional. Please make sure you are not using any program listed in the compatibility blacklist. DustBuster version 2.6.2 conforms to the operational standards established by M*crosoft for the operation on Windows XP: a further strong guarantee, although the complete compatibility with the new operating system is already guaranteed with the former version.

zapjb says:
    A LOT of people don't like it, cause there's no choices, and part of its in Italian. Just the install (At least on my copy, I have the .exe non install version). I should mention that when you dl that file it comes up as "standard.zip", not "dustbuster" or anything recognizable. DB is idiot proof & I like it. But like I said a lot of people don't trust it & they slam it. If you're a control freak you WON'T like DB, because it's automatic. The first time it runs it might take 10 minutes, then at most it might take 30 seconds. I trust DB completely & have had NO probs in over 2 yrs using it.
    DB does it's dirty work then disappears. Unless you're watching you don't know how many kb - MB it freed.
    Another way to tell is My Computer - rt click Local Disk - Properties. Read the used space first (maybe write or record it somewhere). Then start DB. Then go back & read the difference.
    Ime DB is just the best of the junk file removers.
    On numerous fresh installs of XP DB ime removes 150-450MB.
    I think window washer is worthless in comparison. Just tried CrapCleaner didn't do anything. On & on I could go bout these other progs (dozens) that are ineffective to pos.
    There ya go DustBuster XP the King of junk file removers.
    Once again if you're a control freak DON't use it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Hey mabey worth a look if you recomend it , Zapjb

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Thanks for reminding me to do a spyware scan

lol, no jk, might try it out, and im gonn add it to my guide tommorrow

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    @zapjb I can't get it to run on my xp, box stalls at 5% . It has some compatiblity issues . Chief among them is Diskeeper . Here is a list, but in Italiano .

La parziale incompatibilità nota per Paperport, Diskeeper Workstation win9x, Smart Cleaner, Office 2000/XP, Napster, Download Accelerator Plus, Clone CD, Opera, PC Cillin, Fifa 2000, Age of Wonders, Duke Nukem è stata risolta.

And heres a link for a newer version for those that want to try .

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...DUTF-8%26sa%3DG

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss@12 June 2004 - 22:50
    @zapjb I can't get it to run on my xp, box stalls at 5% . It has some compatiblity issues . Chief among them is Diskeeper . Here is a list, but in Italiano .

La parziale incompatibilità nota per Paperport, Diskeeper Workstation win9x, Smart Cleaner, Office 2000/XP, Napster, Download Accelerator Plus, Clone CD, Opera, PC Cillin, Fifa 2000, Age of Wonders, Duke Nukem è stata risolta.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...DUTF-8%26sa%3DG
    peatmoss, are you italien?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    @ROSSCO_2004 Nope sorry sunshine I'm Scottish Canadian B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss@12 June 2004 - 22:59
    @ROSSCO_2004  Nope sorry sunshine I'm Scottish Canadian  B)
    u called me sunshine

oh ya i forgot lol. same as me (half)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    [QUOTE]peat moss Posted on 12 June 2004 - 22:50

http://translate.google.com/translat...UTF-8%26sa%3DG[QUOTE]

peat moss I've never had a problem with DB. How long did you wait? First time running it. Only the 1st time can in EXTREME cases take 15 minutes. Then on usually less than 45 seconds. I personally am running .exe version of DB 2.8 ~48KB.

Edited:.exe is only 48KB

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    nice one zapjb, i'm if i'm already usin this version...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Just tried DustBuster xp v. 2.8. It cleaned 250MB on my winxp pro! I regularly run Window Washer and cleanmgr /sagerun:99 so I did not expect anything like that much junk to be found. I thought I was pretty thorough in cleaning up after uninstalls, etc. I think much of the junk was windows installation files, but I will have to go searching around to get some idea of what it did.

DustBuster is very scary - it offers absolutely no options and gives no information as to what and how much it is deleting. There's no backup and no sending the files to the recycle bin. It starts, cleans and then terminates. No interaction with user at all.

I have so far found no ill effects - everything is running without problems.

Backup, unless you are very courageous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast