Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Amusement Parks

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by ck-uk@15 June 2004 - 03:21
    it cant be that big!!! ,i live in wales & i've never heard of the place... then again i live in newport city!!...Alton towers is great! i when there 15 ish is yrs ago...
    think about it

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I am a rollercoaster addict.....My son (8) also likes em but is a bit short on the height restrictions....my daughter (11) hates em.....but she holds my bag whilst I go on em!

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I prefer the Waltzer

cant get enough of them

The Hoppings starts on friday

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. Lounge   -   #44
    Originally posted by sara5564@15 June 2004 - 10:33
    I am a rollercoaster addict.....My son (8) also likes em but is a bit short on the height restrictions....my daughter (11) hates em.....but she holds my bag whilst I go on em! 
    You would love Cedar Point then

5. Lounge   -   #45
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Top Gun
    Paramount's Great America, Santa Clara, CA

RIDE DETAILS
    Track Type Year Designer/Manufacturer
    Steel Inverted Multielement 1993 Bolliger and Mabillard

RIDE STATISTICS
    Height: 102 feet Drops: 91 feet

Top speed: 50 mph Inversions: 3

Length: 2,260 feet Ride time: 2 minutes, 20 seconds

Number of trains: 2 Trains designed by: Bolliger and Mabillard

Immediately after Bolliger and Mabillard came out with the first inverted coaster in 1992 with Six Flags Great America's Batman: the Ride near Chicago, a theme park halfway across the country and formerly a sister park to the Midwestern Great America, Paramount's Great America, was in contact with the two Swiss designers to bring the inverted coaster to the Northern California park as the world's second inverted model. The PGA inverter would feature its own custom-designed layout, and plans soon came together for a sleek three-inversion, 2,260-foot steel coaster containing one of every inversion that Batman looped through, and a few elements of its own. The Californian Great America park had just recently come under ownership of movie giant Paramount, and it was decided that the new inverted coaster would be the first to sport its own Paramount movie theme. Top Gun was cleared for takeoff and blasted off on March 19th, 1993, just over ten months after Batman's debut, as the second inverted coaster ever and first to take flight on the West Coast of the US. After its debut, the coaster became the park's largest draw, guest favorite, and signature attraction for years to come.
    Fighter-pilot wannabes walk under the ride logo and enter the line, then make their way up to the station before strapping into one of two 28-passenger trains and getting ready for takeoff. The floor drops, and the train starts up, up, and away. A hundred and two feet over top of Paramount's Great America, the track makes a dip, the catwalk is left behind, Top Gun banks to the left, and screaming passengers soar back to the ground. Ninety-one feet and 180 degrees later, the train completes the dive to level out eleven feet above the ground only to begin pulling up sharply into the first third of the coaster's inversion trio: what other than a traditional vertical loop. Once the train has completed the 360-degree vertical knot, the speeding black track overhead curves upwards again, back up towards the sky and curving to the right in a fan curve winding and banking around 315 degrees while climbing, and then diving back down right into Top Gun's next inversion. For the zero-g roll, passengers are swept up above the entrance area and spun in a complete roll with a few negative g's thrown in before completing the inversion. The track dips with a curve to the right to set riders down a few feet above the surface of a pond, then speeds them through a quick flat spin to the right flipping the train up into the air like a pancake. The coaster banks leftwards and Top Gun glides up around a tight, high-g carousel curve and then slamming on the brakes. With one more turn to the right, riders find themselves right back where they started and the two-minute, twenty-second ride over.

Since the PGA Top Gun debut, similar inverted rides have opened at other parks in the Paramount family, including an East Coast Bolliger and Mabillard sister coaster, Top Gun: the Jet Coaster located at Paramount's Carowinds. To experience flight taken to the extreme, buckle yourself up and head on over to a Paramount Park near you!

Completing the loop

Zero-G Roll

Through the Flat Spin

It is number 14 on this map
    Image Resized
    [img]http://www.coasterforce.com/images/PGA2001map.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Dipping your feet in the water (almost)

I haven't been on many, but this one is my favorite so far.

CrumbCat

6. Lounge   -   #46
    CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    kAb-

That Medusa looks INCREDIBLE ! ! !

I want to ride that one.

Whoa....

CrumbCat

7. Lounge   -   #47
    I live very close to Alton Towers and used to get free tickets from a mate when I was younger (if you live in Alton they give you free tickets adn my mate did)

8. Lounge   -   #48
    Poster
    I havent been in 2 years, but if you live in Ontario Canada, this is where you go for big rides.

Paramount Canada's Wonderland

There's no 'I' in 'team'. But then there's no 'I' in 'useless smug colleague', either.
    And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345