Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermal Paste Question

My mate (stupidly) chnaged my cpu for his today becuase he brought a barton and realised he didnt need it and becuase i fitted exctra ram and a shyte gfx card for him he thought it would be a way to pay me back. It was a retail barton with that grey stuff already on it. he only had the pc 1-2 days max and then switched them, should i re-apply some artic silver i have to both cpus?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The gray thermal pad can only be used one time. If you remove the heatsink then you need to remove the pad and apply thermal paste.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@14 June 2004 - 17:57
    The gray thermal pad can only be used one time. If you remove the heatsink then you need to remove the pad and apply thermal paste.
    And it is 100% Needed and not just a way to cool the CPU easier becuase my mates not gonna go overclocking or anything heat-y.

Okay thanks just checking .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@14 June 2004 - 18:27
    or anything heat-y.
    You mean he's not going to turn it on???
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by lynx+14 June 2004 - 20:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 14 June 2004 - 20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peerzyboy@14 June 2004 - 18:27
    or anything heat-y.
    You mean he&#39;s not going to turn it on??? [/b][/quote]
    No but he&#39;s not going to play games, ever use WMP its just a internet and email machine. But i wasnt surte if thermal paste was just like something everybody reccomended as just a way to cool, like everyone here says you have to have case fans when you dont althjought you really should B) &#33;&#33;

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Use the paste, he&#39;ll need it.

And if it should, as impossible as it may sound, fry, then you can say you did everything you could.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    And what about the barton? That had the stuff that came with it already on and itsd been used for less than a day and then removed and pout into my machine, should i take it out scrap it off and add some new stuff?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@14 June 2004 - 15:35
    And what about the barton? That had the stuff that came with it already on and itsd been used for less than a day and then removed and pout into my machine, should i take it out scrap it off and add some new stuff?
    same

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@14 June 2004 - 14:35
    And the thermal pad or paste must be used. It&#39;s not an option.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    How long before damage will start to show, i can&#39;t get thru to him and its like 11pm here and i can&#39;t b assed to drover over there .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast