Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Drive Makin Noise

Expire's Avatar Problem solved...
    is is normal 4 ur A drive to make an irrataiting noies if u try to exit a program when a document is open that came from the floopy but isent in the drive any more?
    and then shuts up when u put the floppy back in.

also u cant shut the progrm in task manager or anything, i start to get error reports being made and all kinds of shit until u feed the pc its floppy

surely this cant be normal...can it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Yup.

Obviously it depends on the program whether it keeps the file open on the floppy drive, but assuming that's what is happening the behaviour you describe is quite normal.

The drive is positioning the head on track zero to find out what disk you've got in. If you haven't got a disk in the drive it assumes that it hasn't positioned properly so it tries to move the head back a little further and comes up against the stop, and that's the strange noise you hear.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Expire's Avatar Problem solved...
    Originally posted by lynx@15 June 2004 - 18:45
    Yup.

Obviously it depends on the program whether it keeps the file open on the floppy drive, but assuming that's what is happening the behaviour you describe is quite normal.

The drive is positioning the head on track zero to find out what disk you've got in. If you haven't got a disk in the drive it assumes that it hasn't positioned properly so it tries to move the head back a little further and comes up against the stop, and that's the strange noise you hear.
    sounded like it was going to blow
    k cheers

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    #99999999999 reason to take ur floppy drive out

My Blog
    I'm still here.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ya floppy drives are crap.

slow, unreliable to fuck, small capacity, noisy, fragile, etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    If you don't ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile." I still like them myself for the fdisk option when reinstalling.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss@15 June 2004 - 21:16
    If you don't ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile." I still like them myself for the fdisk option when reinstalling.
    XP has it all built into the installation, or you could put that stuff on a cd...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+15 June 2004 - 18:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 15 June 2004 - 18:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peat moss@15 June 2004 - 21:16
    If you don&#39;t ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile."&nbsp; I still like them myself for&nbsp; the fdisk&nbsp; option when reinstalling.
    XP has it all built into the installation, or you could put that stuff on a cd... [/b][/quote]
    @rossco Yes, but I&#39;m a dinosour , like the floppy. I use The Ulitimate boot disk as well . I just feal more comfortable using a dos based program, thats how I first learned computers.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss+15 June 2004 - 21:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peat moss @ 15 June 2004 - 21:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@15 June 2004 - 18:20
    <!--QuoteBegin-peat moss
    @15 June 2004 - 21:16
    If you don&#39;t ues it much just disable it. Open the Device Manager, select Floppy disk controllers; Standard Floppy Disk Controller; then check the box marked "Disable in this hardware profile."&nbsp; I still like them myself for&nbsp; the fdisk&nbsp; option when reinstalling.

XP has it all built into the installation, or you could put that stuff on a cd...
    @rossco Yes, but I&#39;m a dinosour , like the floppy. I use The Ulitimate boot disk as well . I just feal more comfortable using a dos based program, thats how I first learned computers. [/b][/quote]
    lol alrighty, i hate dos personally, don&#39;t like that there are no icons, and in long lists of stuff on a cd u can&#39;t see what all the files are called (problem is no scrolling lol).

don&#39;t like dos.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    @ROSSCO but type DIR there you go ,or delete a program REM it . Or deltree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast