Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Share Connection

can I curse? FUCK!
    Ok, I used to be able to share my dsl connection because there was a connection where I could right click and click on "share this connection" but now I have cable and there is no connection in the network places folder.. so.. How should I go about sharing this connection? Btw, A7n8x has 2 ethernet ports.. and I don't want to use my router because port forwarding is hard to do.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    first of all, port forwarding isn't at all hard.

second, there has to be a connection in the network connections folder, if there really isn't then i don't know how u could be on the net

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What is it with so many people lately with port forwarding?

Use your router.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    can I curse? FUCK!
    It is confusing to do port forwarding with my router.. the firmware is different from what that port forwarding guide in this forum says.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Shiranai_Baka@14 June 2004 - 18:33
    It is confusing to do port forwarding with my router.. the firmware is different from what that port forwarding guide in this forum says.
    What router is it?

Maybe me or one of the other regulars has that router and could help you, or maybe we can find a good guide for you...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    can I curse? FUCK!
    linksys befsr41

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    read your manual (here) it quite vividly explains what to do to port forward on page 65...

enter the starting port number in the first box, second box (after the word "to") write the ending port number (so say u were doing 6881-6999, you would put 6881 in the first box, 6999 in teh second box...or if u were to do just port 113, then 113 in first box, 113 in last box).

Next i think you wanna select TCP.

Next you put in your computer's IP address.

Last you click the checkbox for enable then click apply or whatever it says at teh bottom.

That's it, simple.

btw, you might want to set your computer's IP to be a static IP. To do this:
    go to control panel>network connections>right click ocnnection>properties>internet pci\ip protocol>properties:

Click on "Use this IP address that i rpovide"

then enter in an IP address starting with 192.168.0 (example 192.168.0.2). The gateway is your router's ip address, which should be 192.168.0.1...

and primary dns server is the same thing as gateway, secondary dns u can leave blank.

here is an example, this is how mine is set up:

good luck with all that stuff, i suggest you do the static IP address thing first. This all shouldn't take too long, just takes a whjile to read and explain it

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Well.. erm.. The ISP I have uses dynamic IP address.... does that affect it anyway?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Shiranai_Baka@14 June 2004 - 21:05
    Well.. erm.. The ISP I have uses dynamic IP address.... does that affect it anyway?
    No, not at all. The IP given by your ISP is handled by your router seperately althogether. The IP that you are changing is your computer's IP on the LAN (network) given by your router by DHCP (meaning it's a dynamic address). If you set it to static, then the router doesn't have to change it, and if the router doesn't change it, you won't have to change your port forwarding settings all the time, which is very handy for saving many hours of time.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Who has optimum online here? I think they might be able to help me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast