Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Channel Mem Question...

If you buy and use 2 of the same mem sticks(512 pc3200) is that considered dual channel?

or do you have to buy the ram that states that it's dual channel?

This is for A7N8X mobo btw.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Ya usually they will work, as long as they can both run at teh same CAS latency as well as speed and amount being the same.

"Dual channel ram" is guaranteed to work together.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Ross, Ross, Ross,

Whatever are you thinking?
    "Dual Channel" refers to a technology implemented by the motherboard, not the RAM chips.
    If your board supports it ( and yours does, I believe) dual channel refers to the way the CPU ( through the northbridge, I think) can access multiple addresses in the memory simultaneously.

To make it work, your RAM has to be inserted in the proper DIMM slots...check your manual.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@18 June 2004 - 12:00
    Ross, Ross, Ross,

"Dual Channel" refers to a technology implemented by the motherboard, not the RAM chips.
    If your board supports it ( and yours does, I believe) dual channel refers to the way the CPU ( through the northbridge, I think) can access multiple addresses in the memory simultaneously.

To make it work, your RAM has to be inserted in the proper DIMM slots...check your manual.
    good point.

Does Dual Channel Memory run "better" or run applications better than just normal channel memory?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    An interesting question, Dray.
    One that I am currently in the middle of.
    My NF7-S board's manual claims that in order to implement dual-channel memory the sticks should be placed in the slots starting with #3 and working back.

Testing by others ( apparently confirmed by ABIT) has shown that this wrong.

I can tell no difference at all.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Asus boards tell you when they are in dual channel mode (at boot time).

Having said that, I haven't seen much improvement in performance between dual channel mode over single channel mode.

If what clocker says is correct, perhaps the configuration on asus boards is also wrong. I've a good mind to try all the variations (there are only three) and see which performs best.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by lynx@17 June 2004 - 17:33
    Asus boards tell you when they are in dual channel mode (at boot time).

If what clocker says is correct, perhaps the configuration on asus boards is also wrong. I've a good mind to try all the variations (there are only three) and see which performs best.
    What do you mean, "if"?

Both of the RAM configurations that I've tried so far show as dual channel at boot.
    No significant difference running memstat, memtest or Prime 95.

Maybe it's all hooey.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I have similar result myself. When the RAM is inserted into the correct slots it shows "Dual Channel Mode" at bootup (Gigabyte board). I haven't been able to detect a difference either.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker@17 June 2004 - 19:00
    Ross, Ross, Ross,

:"> I thought that the ram chips had to be exactly the same? forgot where i heard\read that, but i thought it was true.

So any mix of chips will work?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@17 June 2004 - 19:11

:"> I thought that the ram chips had to be exactly the same? forgot where i heard\read that, but i thought it was true.

So any mix of chips will work?
    Look at his original question, Ross.

If you buy and use 2 of the same mem sticks(512 pc3200) is that considered dual channel?
    The answer to that is obviously "No".
    That is considered having 1 GB of RAM.
    Unless the motherboard is built with dual channel functionality then no amount ( or type) of RAM will make it so.

See?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast