Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When I Should Buy

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Well, I did post this the day before the big loss and never got to see the respones if there were any. But I want to upgrade my CPU, motherboard, RAM, and my video card.
    I want to spend around 500$ and get the best bang for my buck. I mostly play SWG, so when is the best time to buy, when the newest top of the line comes out and when is that supposed to be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Well Duff, the most volitile item in your list price-wise is the video card.
    A Barton core AMD chip can be had ( especially if you are lucky enough to find a used, older unlocked one) for around $100 ( I saw a Barton 3200+ on the OC Forums classified for $115...damn! I was too late to get it&#33, a good board ( I can personally recommend either the Asus A7N8X- Deluxe rev2 or the ABIT NF-7-S rev2) will run about $135-150.
    512 stick of quality DDR Ram is another $125 or so.

What's left over is your video card.

T'were it me, I would go big on the chip, board and RAM and then upgrade the graphics as it became possible.
    Who knows what prices will look like on the older stuff when ATI and nVidia finally start shipping the next-gen cards?

Also, I would not hesitate to buy used from the classifieds of the OCForums.
    Some mighty sweet deals seem to pop up there on a regular basis.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    hmm.... I'll start checking the oc forums regularley then

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    agreeing with clocker, the Asus a7n8x, abit Nf7-S, or the gigabyte 7n400L are all great boards.

For processor, again i agree to go with an AMD barton cpu, preferably 2500+ since difference between 2500+ and 3200+ is very little, and it can easily be OCed to 3200+ speeds anyway.

For ram, if no OC, then go for csome PC2700, or if it is going to be OCed, some quality pc2700, or good enough pc3200 is needed.

Quality names are always important in computers, the noname brands are almost always crap (in my experiences), so i aren't buying cheap stuff anymore.

for hard drives, seagate is my favorite. Very quiet, had good experiences with them installing them in a friend's and my aunt's computers. SO QUIET can't even hear them at all it's amazing.

for vidoe card, do you like gaming, or just occasional counterstrike or something like that? if occasional, an fx5200 is a pretty OK card. If you really like to game, or plan to game a lot, an ATI Radeon 9600XT or higher is best to get.

Power supplys are very important as well, don't go cheap on that, Antec, Enermax, Thermal take, Zalman are all good companies.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    well, I have a segate, not just one but two segates. And I have a Raidmax Scorpio 868 case with a 420w? PSU so im set there and I do enjoy the every free moment game of star wars galexies so.... Also i can't see any trade forums on OC-forums.com do you have to be registered

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    get a 2500xp and an asus a7n8x. That will cost like 160.

Say 130 for dual channel memory...290..rest is for video card...that would be perfect
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    But as you currently reccomend dual channel theres a thread about wether or not its a big conspiracy that does nothing. hehe, good suggestion though, im gonna go search a bit on new egg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Duffman3@17 June 2004 - 19:39
    Also i can't see any trade forums on OC-forums.com do you have to be registered
    Sorry, yes.
    AND you have to have a minimum of 100 posts to gain access to the Classifieds.

Seems snobbish, but it keeps out the riff-raf and those who would make a quick strike into the area and then leave.
    This way you have a pretty good feel for the folks you are dealing with and people's experience seems to be very good.
    I've never managed to actually land one of these good deals...apparently, much like e-Bay, one must sit on the board like a hawk and be ready to respond with alacrity.
    Being old and slow I miss out alot.

*sigh*
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    well i tried to sign up but my email's banned? so as soon as i finish download office xp ill beable to email and uncover that mystery.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Duffman3@17 June 2004 - 22:20
    well i tried to sign up but my email's banned? so as soon as i finish download office xp ill beable to email and uncover that mystery.
    You are aware that office XP isn't the latest office program right? (office 2003 is newest).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast