Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Peer Guardian

whats the link for peer guardian ??
    sounds useful..

just and offa topic question do u think i should have a firewall on my PC when running kazaa or can this slow me down a bit.. ??
    thanks
    chris

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    whats the link for peer guardian ??
    sounds useful..

just and offa topic question do u think i should have a firewall on my PC when running kazaa or can this slow me down a bit.. ??
    thanks
    chris

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Poster
    A few programs are essential

Anti virus
    Firewall
    peer guardian :-)

and a few others

http://xs.tech.nu/

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Poster
    Originally posted by Acecool@12 April 2003 - 16:02
    They were all incoming 1214
    and coming from a (random?) port and then another with dif numbers etc
    Thats correct, it is how the TCP/IP protocol works.
    All incomming connection (to you) will be on port 124 (unless you have specified otherwise) and the outgoing port (to them) will be a random number above 1024 if i remember correctly.

What you want is a program that automtically and temporarily blocks IP's that try to connect to many ports at once within a shot internval. The eDonley network has this ability .. it automatically bans user who requesed the same file too fast etc. Perhaps a tool such as the one i described could be made.

Anyway, to shed some light on this subject, more than likely what it is, is a user browsing your file list and grabing everythign that they see they like, in the meantime these files are being qeued up in Klite. Then when the user switches to the traffic tab, and Kazap or Speedup start .. WHAAM! you get hit with a request for X number of files all at once. This is a big proble, and i have done this a few times. It is no good for anyone as it will slow down both users.

As for the RIAA etc hammering you... don't think so highly of yourself (nothing personal).

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    Poster

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Poster
    5 ports

2 ports

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Poster
    Stop posting IPs!

You have told us your method, and if anyone wants to take your advice they can.

Posting IPs solves nothing, unless they are static. Just because you suspect an IP of hammering you, dosen't mean they will hammer everyone else. In most cases, people who start blocking all these IPs will have unintended outcomes, blocking "good" IPs and will be cutting themselves off from many other fair users. Just look at the result above when someone could't access this forum!

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Poster
    I have all of these blocked and *gasp* I can access the forum *gasp*

:-)

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Poster
    One way someone can 'hammer' your ip is to list all your files and try to download LOTS of them with their download max set to 50.

If they have nothing else going on and your connection queues their requests, they will RETRY your connection on EVERY queued file at least once every 5 minutes. This can be VERY bad on your connection...

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    Poster
    That happened once

I have max uploads to 3 so everyone gets a decent 5 or so kbs down till i get my 10mbit box where I can go full out lol

I started kazaa lite, check transfer tab, 1 dl, 6 uploads

all same user, all different files

weird?

not only was he hogging everything, he wasnt getting decent speeds, holding up valid users from getting files etc

oh about the riaa thing

thats why peer guardian closed 4 connections from them yesterday within an hour period alone?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234