Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Formatting Dvd-rw

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I have a dvd-rw disc that I'm using to test my encoded dvd movies on b4 burning to dvd-r, there is a film on the disc but when I try to write anything to the disc with windows I get disc not inserted, when I right click the properties it says the file system on the disc as RAW do I need to format it in some way?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    yes, go into nero burning rom and click recorder>erase rewritabledisc...i tihnk that's what u gotta do..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I've done that m8, I can get to burn stuff on it with nero but it never passes the verification process, aswell as that once erased with nero I can't write to it from windows, it adds the files to be written then when I click to write them it says no valid cd inserted any other ideas?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    cd could be corrupt, they do get corrupt very easily...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hmm I hope not I've just got it last week I wonder if it makes a difference that I might have finalised the disc with nero when trying out a dvd but then again it should'nt really make a difference if the disc is erased. weird how nero will burn to it though and not windows.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    do u have any more dvd-rw's to test with? or just burn a dvd-r they arent that expensive and im sure you have bought more than one...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Yeah I made the mistake of buying some expensive 1's and there dvd+rw's although I'm not sure about the difference, I was getting a bit sick making coasters Whats the best way to test encoded files b4 burning to dvd? because sometimes when I burn them to dvd-rw they come out crap but then I burn the same thing on a fresh disc there ok, whats the best way to test if there ok before u burn them?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by keyser_soze@12 June 2004 - 19:20
    Yeah I made the mistake of buying some expensive 1's and there dvd+rw's although I'm not sure about the difference, I was getting a bit sick making coasters Whats the best way to test encoded files b4 burning to dvd? because sometimes when I burn them to dvd-rw they come out crap but then I burn the same thing on a fresh disc there ok, whats the best way to test if there ok before u burn them?
    i guess you could choose image recorder in nero instead of your dvd drive, burn the iso, mount it with alcohol 120, then test it...if it works burn it...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ok I'll try that, can I not mount the disc with nero I don't have alcohol installed anymore? So if it runs ok and plays fro the image drive can I safely assume that it will work when played on my dvd player?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    You need to format the disc for packet writing if you want to be able to drag & drop files to it. Erasing the disc will not format it, it'll erase it.
    If you burn an image to it, you won't be able to make changes to it. You'd have to erase it and burn again or format it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast