Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vassell Or Owen?

threelions00's Avatar on a shirt... BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Who should start? Owen seems to be off pace at the moment. I think it would benefit him coming on with like 30 mins left, sort of like Vassell does now. Vassell has so much pace so by the time he comes on, the others are wrecked, especially in that heat.

Owen is a clever player though and can make things happen but more often than not it seems nowadays...I'd be tempted to go for Vassell....

Any thoughts anyone?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Vassell definately - havn't seen Owen play well in ages. He missed so many chances yesterday from being too slow when being fast used to be one of his best qualities as a player.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    rmn316
    Vassell, Owen's out of form and vassell extra stength showed when he setup rooney for his second.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    It's a tricky one but I think, in the end, I'd stick with Owen.

Owen isn't playing that well at the minute, his injuries seem to have lost him a yard of pace and his reactions seem slow, but the way he set up Rooney - when it was still 11 vs 11 - for goal#1 was pure class. I don't think Vassell would have been able to chest the ball down in a congested penalty area, look up and plonk the ball on Rooney's forehead. Also you have to realise that because of Owen's reputation he is being man-marked by the other teams. This gives Rooney more freedom, that wouldn't happen if Vassell started - Rooney would be man-marked.

Vassell is awesome when he comes on late in the game, his pace scares defenders..especially when they are tired and he's fresh while Owen has a touch more assurance and class about him while the game is still structured - i.e. in the 1st half. btw ask the Villa fans if they think Vassell should start for England
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    i see your point there manker but vassell is a dark horse...little well known by most. having someone that runs like that could really help rooney...rooney has great control and could put some well placed passes into vassell. vassell's speed compensates for his control...

i still can't decide

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Owen's been crap pretty much all season for Liverpool, even worse the past week - he barely gets to the ball, when he does he usually loses it after one touch

i wouldn't mind seeing Vassel instead because he's a similar player to Owen, but stronger, and a bit better in the air, i wouldn't mind Heskey either, or even better James Beattie

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Im a Villa fan.

When Owen is on form i would pick him ahead of Vassell.
    At the moment, Owen is not on form so i would pick Vassell and maybe let Owen on with 15-20 minutes to go.
    Vassell has had a mediocre season with Villa, though he seems to pick his game up when he puts an England shirt on.
    Regarding Heskey, he should have never been picked in the first place, even Liverpool can see he is no good, why do you think they off-loaded him to Birmingham?

8. Lounge   -   #8
    i like the james beattie idea...that always kafaddled me why sven didn't pick him a while back (last season i think) when he had score more than heskey and owen put together...he will never get a chance whilst he is in a saints shirt...such a shame

9. Lounge   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Originally posted by threelions00@19 June 2004 - 11:10
    i like the james beattie idea...that always kafaddled me why sven didn't pick him a while back (last season i think) when he had score more than heskey and owen put together...he will never get a chance whilst he is in a saints shirt...such a shame
    He's not even in a saints shirt at the moment, he can't get a game for them. Paul Sturrock preferred Phillips and Pahars upfront when he took over as manager halfway through last season.

Beattie is definitely a better option than Heskey though

@ rf9rider I stand corrected, it's just that most of the Villa fans I speak to that watch him every week think he's shite
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    i bow down and admit it....sven was right to go with owen...he justs needs a goal...(see scholes for example)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast