Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Civilian Trip Into Space,

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by clocker@25 June 2004 - 12:03
    As far as I can tell, NASA is all for exploits such as this.
    Crippled by budget cuts and recent disasters, NASA is effectively at a standstill.
    Bush's proclamation about a Mars landing was all hot air, typically, he floated the concept and then dropped it the next day.
    Talk about a short attention span.

Ventures such as Rutan's, unfettered by military and scientific considerations, have long been thought to be the most viable method of  achieving regular spaceflight.

Don't be mislead by the apparent disparity between the initial outlay and the prizemoney...these guys are looking further into the future than that, and the potential commercial return is enormous.
    You observe as I do, Clocker; I think Eddie refers to this as "the spirit of can do", yes?

I am concerned that, given the commercial potential and the (hopefully) soon-to-be-proven reliability and viability of such ventures remains unfettered.

I am having mad visions of our government appropriating this grand idea and turning it into something resembling AMTRAK.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I appreciate your concern, j2.

The government, being a government, will no doubt find a way to insinuate itself into the venture, to the detriment of all concerned.

If Bush remains President we can only hope the War on Terror will keep him distracted.
    If Kerry wins, I have no clue what he might do.

If Nader wins, at least you can be damn sure the thing will have effective seatbelts.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Originally posted by clocker@25 June 2004 - 18:31
    I appreciate your concern, j2.

The government, being a government, will no doubt find a way to insinuate itself into the venture, to the detriment of all concerned.

If Bush remains President we can only hope the War on Terror will keep him distracted.
    If Kerry wins, I have no clue what he might do.

If Nader wins, at least you can be damn sure the thing will have effective seatbelts.
    Insofar as anything can be devined from current circumstances, I think you're right.

It falls (at the moment) just a shade on the imponderable side of things.

I wish that wouldn't happen.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    I'm a little concerned that some sort of sabatage could happen to prevent the ultimate success of this. Or that if anything unfortunate(like a crash) happens that the govenment will make it next to impossible for civilians to continue this type of thing due to "Public Safety" concerns.

But I am still waiting for my $10.00 trip.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    This is the story of planes and zeppelins all over again. I have no doubt commercial spaceflight will take off sooner or later this century.

Exciting indeed&#33;

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    A sort of Wright Brothers redux?

Just so, and well-put.

TD-

Better adjust that for inflation.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by lynx@21 June 2004 - 16:09
    I thought commercial supersonic flight was banned in continental US airspace. :-"
    No, I don&#39;t think so.
    The Concorde flew in regularly, did it not?

Besides, given the mechanics of the launch it would be a simple matter to fly out over the ocean to initiate the flight.
    International waters and all that.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Originally posted by clocker+26 June 2004 - 17:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker &#064; 26 June 2004 - 17:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-lynx@21 June 2004 - 16:09
    I thought commercial supersonic flight was banned in continental US airspace. :-"
    No, I don&#39;t think so.
    The Concorde flew in regularly, did it not?

[/b][/quote]
    Ah, yes, and, having finally had enough of that, the French government put paid to that account with a small (big) engine fire.*

*Please ignore; unintentional conspiracy-theory.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Originally posted by j2k4@26 June 2004 - 15:19

Well so far I have cashed in my kids college savings, been selling plasma, rolled a few little old ladies and sold all my wifes family jewelery. I am not sure if this will be enough so I am open for any suggestions.

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Originally posted by tracydani+27 June 2004 - 14:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tracydani &#064; 27 June 2004 - 14:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@26 June 2004 - 15:19

Well so far I have cashed in my kids college savings, been selling plasma, rolled a few little old ladies and sold all my wifes family jewelery. I am not sure if this will be enough so I am open for any suggestions.

TD[/b][/quote]
    All things considered, you&#39;re in good shape, then.

I would advise you to sit tight; your chances may ride on the imminent Presidential clash.

Bush, you win, Kerry, you lose&#33;

You might win some sort of military stipend if you&#39;ll just take this small device with you.....

-Mark Twain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast