Thread: Download Speed Or Lack Of It

Hi, I'm new here and I seek help or advice. My problem:

I have a d/l spead of between 1Kb/s and 15Kb/s

I see a Upload speed of about 1500/2500 Kb/s

Is this normal?

My setup is a LAN connection not unlikely to what you might encounter at a school.
    What it means is about 200 users and a router between the network and the ISP.

Type of the router unknown (imposible to get info on that one because of excesive
    paranoia).

If there is something I can do to improve my d/l speed I'll be very grateful, and I'm willing to give all the information needed for whoever is willing to help to understand the nature of my setup.

Sorry if I don't make sense but as I said, I'm new at this...

Thank you in advance
    sebastian pons

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    muchspl2
    well if you're on a uni connection then they are blocking ports most likely
    have you ran a Shields up test
    find out what open and use that port, try different p2p's as kazaa sucks
    bittorrent/mirc/emule are great
    ask around, you're not the only person with this problem, find out what other have done (if you live in a dorm)
    know what I mean, vern

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    That was fast!!

Thank you. I didn't explain myself. I'm on a LAN not unlike wat it's found at a school or university. I'm not conecting from a learning or work center. It is just
    a comunal setup at a very reasonable price. The downside being the problems I'm having geting a decent d/l rate or when using an Internet radio; incesant buffering.
    So, you see, there is nobody to ask for help at my end. I used the Gipson's PA, and it found my machine in stealth mode.
    The firewall at my computer is Kerio Personal Firewall. Any chances of modifying
    it to get better results? I already gave permission for KL access (four green tick
    marks).
    I asume that my problem is port related. Is there anyway to isolate the problem?

Thanks again
    sebastian pons

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Maybe your uploads are choking your download speeds

Read about this somewhere

Try LOWERING your upload speed and see if that works

KEEP SHARING!!!