Thread: Hacker Attack?

Hi

System: KLite v2.4.3, XP Pro workstations, W2k server

I've been using KLite for some time & have recently also loaded it on my wife's pc. Both our computers are part of a network going through a software firewall (MS ISA) & then also a hardware firewall on the router. The router is in a separate ip range to the internal network. GRC.com gives my Internet access full points for security. We use McAfee Virusscan enterprise & the server & workstations & fully up to date with all security patches.

This morning, my wife noticed that someone was downloading a file called desktop.ini from her pc though KLite. The download showed completed at 0 bytes. Checking her shared folders in KLite there is definately no such file available.

Can anyone give me a clue what was happening here please?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Desktop.ini is usually a hidden file (ie you must select view hidden files in folder config to view it). But I think people can view your hidden files on programs like Kazaa Lite if they are in your Shared folder.

What Desktop.ini does: http://www.ieinfosite.co.uk/tip_view.asp?id=29

If you want to view hidden files, go to Tools in a folder and select Folder Options. Then on this menu select view hidden files.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    blank BT Rep: +1
    same with thumbs

if u have one in ur shared folder, it will show up in ur shared files count, at least does on mine!
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

4. File Sharing   -   #4

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Thanks for the info guys

I passed with all green lights on the Symantec site.

I understand that desktop.ini doesn't really do too much, but I don't have one (even hidden) in my shared folders.

I had an attempted desktop.ini download (0 bytes dl) this morning & I'm assuming that it's an attempted hacker attack. What are they going to gain with a file like this?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Nadda I Imagine, Nor Do I think Its An Attack At All...

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    desktop.ini is usually a hidden system file. So you not to enable show system files too in Folder Options.

There are lots of desktop.ini files on your computer. All pretty harmless.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Error403@22 June 2004 - 09:13
    desktop.ini is usually a hidden system file. So you not to enable show system files too in Folder Options.

There are lots of desktop.ini files on your computer. All pretty harmless.
    True. I was getting confused with the Thumbs.db file which does show up if you view hidden files.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Thanks guys

So, if it's not an attack, why are they trying to dl this file?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by Voetsek@21 June 2004 - 13:06
    little test

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default...id=ie&venid=sym
    I tried that and it doesn't seem to recognise my anti virus program. Just a little known program called AVG

TD
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.