Thread: Doubling Internet Speed

Poster
    I have a linksys router both wireless and through ethenet... i also have dsl which doesnt suffer speed loss when routed...

Could i have an ethernet cable going to my computer (as i now do) and a usb (from wireless reciever) both hooked up and double my speed because of 2 incoming signals...

so 1) could i combine the two signals as one,
    and 2) id no to 1, can I have different programs run on different signals so i could use all my bandwidth on dling and the other signals bandwidth for surfing the web?

if yes to anything what software and drivers and stuff would i need?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    bumpin this to the top

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    no, the maximum speed that is able to go through your dsl modem is what speed you aer getting on your desktop. If you were to hook up both connections to your computer, you'd probably get the exact same speed.

BUT if you were to get two dsl modems, and ISP lets two modems connect, then those speeds could probably be somehow combined, but it would require some software which i have no idea what it is.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@21 June 2004 - 17:00
    no, the maximum speed that is able to go through your dsl modem is what speed you aer getting on your desktop. If you were to hook up both connections to your computer, you'd probably get the exact same speed.

BUT if you were to get two dsl modems, and ISP lets two modems connect, then those speeds could probably be somehow combined, but it would require some software which i have no idea what it is.
    He'd need two phone lines and two dsl connections for that.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by lynx+21 June 2004 - 13:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 21 June 2004 - 13:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@21 June 2004 - 17:00
    no, the maximum speed that is able to go through your dsl modem is what speed you aer getting on your desktop. If you were to hook up both connections to your computer, you&#39;d probably get the exact same speed.

He&#39;d need two phone lines and two dsl connections for that. [/b][/quote]
    well i have no knowledge at all of how dsl works, thought since it leaves teh phone free you could probably setup a second modem on it, but now that i think about it is is a limit with the phone wires right? i dunno

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Could i have an ethernet cable going to my computer (as i now do) and a usb (from wireless reciever) both hooked up and double my speed because of 2 incoming signals...
    so 1) could i combine the two signals as one,
    and 2) id no to 1, can I have different programs run on different signals so i could use all my bandwidth on dling and the other signals bandwidth for surfing the web?

No, you won&#39;t be able to do that.