Thread: Advice/helpc

blank BT Rep: +1
    ok as some of u know, i had to re-install windows yesterday after being hit by the nastiest virus ever.

brief summary. basically it infected all .exe, .mp3, .avi, .mpeg

i re-install no problem and then put my back up disc on which contained one .exe, that for netmeeting.

without thinking i went to install this, which obviously set off the virus again as i am begining to re-install everything again (second time in 24 hours).

my question is. I know that i have the affected virus in the one .exe on my back up cd.

is it safe to get the rest (word docs, jpeg, bitmap etc) off the cd or when i put the cd in the drive, will the virus start working?
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    why don't ou just install antivirus first?

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Sparsely@25 June 2004 - 11:57
    why don't ou just install antivirus first?
    cos it doesnt pick it up. had it running first time it happened and second time. Apprently its an old virus that no one has in their databases. and neway it works too quickly for the virus scanner to remove it before its spread

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy+25 June 2004 - 19:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy @ 25 June 2004 - 19:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sparsely@25 June 2004 - 11:57
    why don&#39;t ou just install antivirus first?
    cos it doesnt pick it up. had it running first time it happened and second time. Apprently its an old virus that no one has in their databases. and neway it works too quickly for the virus scanner to remove it before its spread [/b][/quote]
    hmm...i can think of two strategies:

1) submit the virus sample to ur AV centre
    2) after that, get another AV (i suggest NOD32, download the trial since this is an emergency)...if it fails to capture the virus get another one

there&#39;s a possibility that the virus may have spread to all the files before u have even burnt the cd

good luck,
    gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    First sorry for your probs. 2nd your AV sounds like a pos. Course I&#39;m using the best KAV personal v5. GL.

And this obviously happened.
    gildan2020 Posted on 25 June 2004 - 08:36
    .... there&#39;s a possibility that the virus may have spread to all the files before u have even burnt the cd ....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by zapjb@25 June 2004 - 14:12
    First sorry for your probs. 2nd your AV sounds like a pos. Course I&#39;m using the best KAV personal v5. GL.

And this obviously happened.
    gildan2020 Posted on 25 June 2004 - 08:36
    .... there&#39;s a possibility that the virus may have spread to all the files before u have even burnt the cd ....
    thanks.
    yes it did copy before i burnt

i have just been to my local cyber cafe and copied my backups onto another disc using there machines ( )

i am running avast&#33; pro and until now thought it was the best.

they are running nortan anti virus and it picked up the one infected .exe straight away

naming it as W32.Axon.B

now i cant understand why mine didnt pick it up. have posted on their board and am waiting for a reply

KAV personal v5. GL. - how good is it? I like avast&#33; as it is constantly scanning every file, including p2p, messenger prog, scripts, changed files and more. does ur one do this?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    now u know wat distinguishes a good antivirus from the lousy antiviruses

Kaspersky can do wat Avast can but with more power...it has a good detection rate, but that doesn&#39;t mean ur 100% protected

nuthin is perfect, but KAV is better than having something that doesn&#39;t detect just as good

i still prefer NOD32...u should try this as well

gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    The GL in my post meant good luck.

KAV is generally recognized as the best AV. NOD32 also gets some nods.