Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edonkey V1.0 Spyware - Careful!

hey guys,
    i installed the new edonkey v1.0, unticked all the boxes for the spyware, but the spyware junk installed itself anyway. took me a while to get rid of the junk even with repeated spybot and adaware scans. NewDotNet chose to install itself into the Winsock layer, which meant when i removed it i had no access to the net. Be careful installing the spyware it can leave one hell of a mess

if you remove newdotnet and cant access the net just copy and rename

C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll
    to C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet6_30.dll

it'll get you back on the net until you find a tool to rebuild the winsock layer from scratch.

B.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    This prog does the job. download and keep it forever.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Originally posted by burgerjim69@15 August 2004 - 08:22
    hey guys,
    i installed the new edonkey v1.0, unticked all the boxes for the spyware, but the spyware junk installed itself anyway. took me a while to get rid of the junk even with repeated spybot and adaware scans. NewDotNet chose to install itself into the Winsock layer, which meant when i removed it i had no access to the net. Be careful installing the spyware it can leave one hell of a mess

if you remove newdotnet and cant access the net just copy and rename

C:\Windows\System32\mswsock.dll
    to C:\Program Files\NewDotNet\newdotnet6_30.dll

it'll get you back on the net until you find a tool to rebuild the winsock layer from scratch.

B.
    thats why you should remove it via the ADD/REMOVE in your control panel FIRST, Then remove any leftovers with adaware/spybot.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by Vargas@15 August 2004 - 13:55

B.

thats why you should remove it via the ADD/REMOVE in your control panel FIRST, Then remove any leftovers with adaware/spybot.
    [/quote]
    tried it, afraid it didnt work.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Get eMule. Is so much better B)

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Last edited by hungrylilboy; 01-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by hungrylilboy+16 August 2004 - 04:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hungrylilboy @ 16 August 2004 - 04:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ariel_001@16 August 2004 - 04:31
    Get eMule. Is so much better&nbsp; B)
    y? [/b][/quote]
    A list of a few features available.

Clients use several networks to create one reliable network. (ED2K, Source Exchange, Kad)
    Kad is now in an open testphase, eMule v0.42 can be enabled to use Kad
    eMule&#39;s Queue and Credit system helps to ensure that everyone will get the file he wants by promoting those that upload back to the network.
    eMule is completely free. eMule is also completely free of any Adware, Spyware, and ect. We do this for fun and knowledge, not for money.
    Each file checked for corruptions while downloading to ensure an error free file.
    The eMules Intelligent Corruption Control helps to speed up the correction of corrupted parts.
    Auto priorities and Source management allows you to start many downloads without having to monitor them.
    The Preview function allows you to look at your Videos and Archives before they are completed. For video previewing, we recommend the Video Lan Client.
    The eMule features webservices and a webserver that allows you to have quick access to and from the internet.
    You can create categories for your download to organize them.
    To find the file you want, eMule offers a wide range of search possibilities which include: Servers (Local, and Global), web based (Jigle, and Filedonkey), and Kad (Still in Alpha).
    eMule also allows you to use very complex Boolean searches that make the searches much more flexible.
    With the messaging and friend system, you can send messages to other Clients and add them as friends. In your friend list, you can always see if a friend is online.
    With the build in IRC client, you can chat with other downloaders and chatters around the globe.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    blank BT Rep: +1
    Last edited by hungrylilboy; 01-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    EMule is a nice "free" P2P application, no questions or disagreements there. However because it rewards only users through a "credit-based" system, I find it not very practical for the person who only uses the application every so often. To really reap the benefits of this system, one would literally have to share hundreds of files and almost literally be connected and sharing 24/7 before seeing those nice numbers, IMO.

Not a bad system by any means, but the average joe-user sharing maybe 20 or more decent files, is not likely expected to see any decent download speeds for quite some time in the future. For a 100mb file, that is commonly found and shared through many sources, I would hope to see it completed within at least a day or two, not a week or longer.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I avoid any software that contains spyware like the plague, tbh I don&#39;t think the rating on emule is that important anyway, if you keep a couple of popular files on there and leave uploading while your not d/loading u usually get a decent shot at new d/loads and if it does take a while it makes no diff to me its for free anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast