Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Count & Members' Ranks

A post count doesnt man nothing. All it does is really tell other I'm experienced on this bord. And use it a lot.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #112
    Poster
    Alright, so I understand the member's ranks fine and dandy. But I'm confused about the MODs. How do people gain that kinda clout? Obviously it must be partially determined by the current "powers that be", but what criteria is used when making such a decision? Can there be an unlimited number of MODs...or is it kind of like the Supreme Court...no new applications accepted unless someone dies?

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #113
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by javakel@5 September 2003 - 14:21
    Alright, so I understand the member's ranks fine and dandy. But I'm confused about the MODs. How do people gain that kinda clout?    Obviously it must be partially determined by the current "powers that be", but what criteria is used when making such a decision? Can there be an unlimited number of MODs...or is it kind of like the Supreme Court...no new applications accepted unless someone dies? 
    It's a very degrading initiation involving sexual favors and money.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #114
    Ex-member
    When the moderation team decides the board needs more moderators, they collectively decide on a member who would be suitable for the job, based on fairly obvious criteria such as regularity of visits, time zone, helpfulness, etc.

Then, once they decide, they PM the member(s) in question and ask if they'd be willing to take up the position. If they accept, they become part of the team, if not then they stay a normal member.

Becoming a moderator isn't very fun, though - you have to commit some of your time to visiting the board regularly, and you have to spend a lot of time on active moderation.

You also have to stand aloof of some discussions, as it would be inappropriate for a moderator to join in... see this thread for an example; my participation in this thread was before I became a mod.

All this means that you don't have as much time to enjoy using the board.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #115
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by El_Jefe@5 September 2003 - 13:23

It's a very degrading initiation involving sexual favors and money.
    Sounds just like real life to me.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #116
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by Lamsey@5 September 2003 - 14:28
    When the moderation team decides the board needs more moderators, they collectively decide on a member who would be suitable for the job, based on fairly obvious criteria such as regularity of visits, time zone, helpfulness, etc.

Then, once they decide, they PM the member(s) in question and ask if they'd be willing to take up the position. If they accept, they become part of the team, if not then they stay a normal member.
    What?!?!

You mean that I didn't have to really do all those nasty things?!?!?

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #117
    Ex-member
    Twice, as well

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #118
    Poster
    Well cheese and rice...looks like being a mod is almost like everything else in life. The "better" it's supposed to be, the more responsibility you have and the less enjoyable it seems to be. Uh huh, Uh huh...pretty sure of this now.

And under what circumstances would the moderation team decide the board needs more moderators? Is it more dependent upon the functionality of the board? Like if things start to get all crazy and things become too taxing to keep things harmonious...so they need to offer extra quidance and flex a lil more muscle?

I guess my big question here, and what I've been not too-clearly dancing around, is this: What if someone, a regular member, noticed that another member (such as a Senior Member) was a good "candidate" for becoming a mod, or at least being considered as such? They are helpful, considerate, "devoted" to the forum and its posters, and handle everything from noob questions to stressful and flaming situations with dignity and tact? Could someone then make a recommendation of some sort...that the moderation team would benefit from having such a person on the team?

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #119
    Forum Star
    Sure, you can go ahead and PM a mod with your suggestion that someone be considered. We usually throw in a whole bunch of names, then narrow them down to a couple that we can all agree on.

Oh, and as for when a new mod is wanted, it's usually when the amount of users on the board makes it difficult to control with the present number of mods.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #120
    Poster
    --
    Last edited by Zack; 11-19-2008 at 05:00 PM.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast