Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is A "server"?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    My brother has recently commissioned me to build two servers for his businesses.

Outside of the OS, I'm not too clear what actually defines a "server" configuration.

I know we will be using a mirrored RAID configuration for data security, probably SATA...less expensive than SCSI, and a hot-swappable drive for nightly backups ( gets removed and locked in a fireproof safe each night).

Obviously, high end video/sound are unnecessary.

From what I can tell, CPU speed is really not as critical as mega-memory capacity.

These are not big businesses and I believe that the main use is to host files for the office...I don't think a website is involved.
    I'll know more after this weekend, but I'd like to go into the meeting with a bit more knowlege so I don't appear to be the dunderhead that I actually am.

Any info/ideas?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    *PDC (Primary Domain Controller)
    These servers are the bosses of 1 or more servers. All usernames and passwords are kept on the PDC.

*BDC (Backup Domain Controller)
    These servers are the backups which take over if the PDC fails. They keep a copy of the Usernames and Passwords to validate logons incase the PDC is busy.

*Server
    These servers are just ordinary servers that can join a domain but do can not replace a PDC like a BDC. These servers usually are setup to just share files or printers.

Print Server
    These servers are usually assigned network printers to share and maintain.

File Servers
    These servers have folders/directories shared for access by network users.

Application Servers
    These servers have programs that are shared across the network to multiple computers.

*A server can only be one of these but can be any combination of file, print, and application server.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss@24 June 2004 - 08:38
    *PDC (Primary Domain Controller)
    These servers are the bosses of 1 or more servers. All usernames and passwords are kept on the PDC.

*BDC (Backup Domain Controller)
    These servers are the backups which take over if the PDC fails. They keep a copy of the Usernames and Passwords to validate logons incase the PDC is busy.

*Server
    These servers are just ordinary servers that can join a domain but do can not replace a PDC like a BDC. These servers usually are setup to just share files or printers.

Print Server
    These servers are usually assigned network printers to share and maintain.

File Servers
    These servers have folders/directories shared for access by network users.

Application Servers
    These servers have programs that are shared across the network to multiple computers.

*A server can only be one of these but can be any combination of file, print, and application server.
    Ha, schools around here are so rich, we have like 6 rooms of computers, plus the library and office, and each one "computer lab" area has it's own 3 or 4 servers, all ocnnected in the end buy a central (?) server hosting an 8mbit DSL connection.

any, clocker, to answer your question, your probably just gonna be using regular pc components, plus sata\raid controllers, a few network adaptors im guessing, and the removable hard drive tray. Install windows server 2003 on it, i supppose, or linux for stabliity. Are you doing just hardware or software as well?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Clocker, where I work its a small company with 10 office works . About half are using WISE terminal 's for print shareing between four Dot matrix printers. They run redhat I belive. I'll ask more today .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss@24 June 2004 - 08:52
    Clocker, where I work its a small company with 10 office works . About half are using WISE terminal 's for print shareing between four Dot matrix printers. They run redhat I belive. I'll ask more today .
    Is dot matrix those giant big printers that print like 500pages in one sitting, sometimes more...?

or are they the ones that are really squeeky and use ribbon cartridges? usually black and white...?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+24 June 2004 - 05:58--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 24 June 2004 - 05:58)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peat moss@24 June 2004 - 08:52
    Clocker, where I work its a small company with 10 office works . About half are using WISE terminal &#39;s for print shareing between four Dot matrix printers.&nbsp; They&nbsp; run redhat&nbsp; I belive.&nbsp; I&#39;ll ask more today .
    Is dot matrix those giant big printers that print like 500pages in one sitting, sometimes more...?

or are they the ones that are really squeeky and use ribbon cartridges? usually black and white...? [/b][/quote]
    Yep and run all nite .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I don&#39;t think you should have any worries, clocker. I&#39;m sure your knowledge base is suifficiant for you to shine.

If that isn&#39;t enough then just fake it.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    @clocker, What ever you do don&#39;t volunter to do tec. support . Set it up and run.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by peat moss+24 June 2004 - 09:00--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peat moss @ 24 June 2004 - 09:00)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@24 June 2004 - 05:58
    <!--QuoteBegin-peat moss
    @24 June 2004 - 08:52
    Clocker, where I work its a small company with 10 office works . About half are using WISE terminal &#39;s for print shareing between four Dot matrix printers.&nbsp; They&nbsp; run redhat&nbsp; I belive.&nbsp; I&#39;ll ask more today .

or are they the ones that are really squeeky and use ribbon cartridges? usually black and white...?
    Yep and run all nite . [/b][/quote]
    So it is the small ones with ribbons?

ok.

consider upgrading..maybe to a laser printer? the HP Laserjet&#39;s are fast

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    @rossco dot printers last for years tho, not that big. In an office setting you need multiple copies , like two or three part paper. Runs on a track. Ribbions last for months. So its cheaper &#33; Sorry I have to run ,I&#39;ll be late for work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast