Thread: Two Problems With Windows Server 2003

Sound does not work at all. When I go to Sound and Audio Option, it says there is no audio device. Ive tried the things that have been mentioned in this guide but still doesnt work.

Also, when I start-up my pc, it takes 20 minutes from user login to when explorer is actually usable. I dont understand y, I just put 2003 on.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    probably driver problems, open up device manager (not sure how in server 2003, but im guessing right click my comp>manage>device manager on left...) and see what devices have a ? or a ! next to them, those devices need drivers to be installed, tell us what they are so we can help you.

Also tell us what model computer you have.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Multimedia Controller
    Multimedia Video Controller

AMD Athlon 2200+ (oc'd to 1.925)
    512 PC2700
    GeForce Ti4200
    80 gig 7200rpm
    20 gig 5400rpm

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    do you know what motherboard, and soundcard you have?

for video, go to www.nvidia.com and download teh latest drivers for server 2003 and install them.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    you will need to find the drivers for your sound card that are compatable with 2003 server , the xp drivers might work just use the cd that came with your sound card and see if they will wok

if your sound card is onboard , try using the motherboard cd that came with your comp , it will have sound card drivers on it

the reason this happens is that 2003 does not have all the mme extentions that xp does , eg its designed primarily for the server based community and not for home / multimedia use ( windows 2000 was the same in many ways )

there are possible no advantages to using server 2003 over xp pro in most home type systems,
    unless you want to run your own servers from home ect

needless to say i would suggest you go back to xp pro and wait for the longhorn to come of age and get a new comp that will run 64 bit

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Im gonna stick with 2003 til i can get my hands on xp multimedia edition.

My mobo is a FIC AN17. Im guessing sound is onboard as i dont have a sound card. I dont have a cd for it. Ill get the ones for Win2k from the site and report back.

EDIT: Got the audio controller to work. Just need to get the other 2 to work.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    delphin460's right. Windows 2003 server was not designed for audio/multimedia use. Last time I ran it I had to go to my sound card vendors site download and install my sound card drivers manually. Even then there was still issues later down the line.

When the .net server beta was out I had no problem with sound although it was not enabled by default. Seems like they made it worse with 2003.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@23 June 2004 - 23:54
    Im gonna stick with 2003 til i can get my hands on xp multimedia edition.

My mobo is a FIC AN17. Im guessing sound is onboard as i dont have a sound card. I dont have a cd for it. Ill get the ones for Win2k from the site and report back.

EDIT: Got the audio controller to work. Just need to get the other 2 to work.
    video controller is either your video card drivers, or your chipset drivers...might as well install both.

multimedia controller i think is for a game controller port...could be wrong though...again the motherboard\chipset drivers shopuld fix that right up...