Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Fahrenheit 911

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I apologize for the characterization of Colorado and it's citizens, it's just....well....
    there are far too many skiers in Colorado, and far too much hot chocolate and hot-buttered rum consumed; just all sorts of altitude-related problems in general.

Sorry-

I can't find a balance between serious and silly in this "Talk Club" thingie.

To insist that one stay "serious" and "on-topic"-balderdash!

"Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    I don't watch propoganda that disguises itself as a documentary, it insults my intelligence. A documentary brings to mind "National Geopgraphic" and the like attempting to inform and educate and implies a sense of balance.

Agenda driven films, as is this one, create a black and white world in which our hero tells us how it is and the villian is gagged. A true documentary should contain perspectives from both sides.

It reminds me of :

Beirut, Lebanon (AP) - - A TV channel run by the Hezbollah guerrilla group is offering viewers something special during the Muslim holy month: a miniseries about Israel's founding

I can hear the cheers now from people people told exactly what they want to hear.

I truly doubt any "neutral" people went to the movie and found themselves awash in unexpected tears and applauding the conclusion. People were attracted like a moth to flame, like a cheer-leader to a pep rally, nothing more. No Hank and J2's in the audience as they would feel a bit sickened that their cash was going to Mr. Moore.

Create a movie which glorifies Bush you will find theatres of cheering "patriots".

As for his contention of honesty and threats to sue. This is movie hype 101. Regardless of the outcome Moore wins financially. The mere act of filing a lawsuit gives this film the credit that it "matters", that it is a "factor" in the next election, and a huge number of intrigued viewers.

Any trial would drag out until well past the next election. Moore would win financially and politically. Psychology 101.

I laud Mr. Moore for taking advantage of his citizenship in a free country to create a "documentary" that vilifies the current leaders to promote his political agenda. He is doing what he can.

I also commend him on capitalizing on Disneys' hestitancy to give his film wide exposure and create an aura of censorship and controversy. The consummate capitalist. I was kind of hoping Moore would buy the rights to his film and release it free via P2P. You know he could have afforded to do that, right?

I just see the film for what it is, a bleat-a-thon for sheep. Not a documentary, but a piece of political propaganda.

The neat thing about "one sided documentaries" is that I could take any forum member, chop up his posts, neglect context, and make vague suggestions of conspiracy, to make any of you look racist, stupid, and evil. It is all in the art of presentation and obfuscation.

BTW, I won't be voting for Bush.

Addendum: I forgot to add that Moore's refusal for engaging in debate is much Moore telling than his threat of legal action when it comes to the accuracy of his film.

The legal threat is a merely PR thing as I described above.

A "debate" of his movie has the power to expose the tenuos nature of his "facts" and make him look the fool, live. It will show the other side and the specious nature of his accusations and the context he forgot to add. Any man telling the truth should invite debate. A man attempting to conceal his manipulation is like a man with a toupe fearing even the slightest breeze.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Originally posted by hobbes@10 July 2004 - 12:19
    BTW, I won't be voting for Bush.
    Are you sure about that?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank+10 July 2004 - 12:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigBank_Hank @ 10 July 2004 - 12:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes@10 July 2004 - 12:19
    BTW, I won&#39;t be voting for Bush.
    Are you sure about that? [/b][/quote]
    Yes, he&#39;s sure.

Of course, he may not vote for Kerry, either.

Hobbes continues to thrash silliness with judicious sprinklings of logic; he is truly indispensable to this forum; a rudder, of sorts.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    bush doesn&#39;t get my vote either
    <span style='color:black'>websites that are actually good</span>
    http://www.sputnik7.com - music videos &amp; short films &amp; anime
    http://www.atomfilms.com - more short films
    http://www.howstuffworks.com - learning can be fun
    http://www.caedes.net - probably the best wallpapers on the net

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Just as a matter of interest, why doesn&#39;t Fox doorstep Moore?

That would be funny.

Moore&#39;s biggest contribution will not be to win any debates but rather to galvanise Democrats to go out and vote that otherwise might have stayed at home. If the race is tight it might actualy make a difference.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    I wonder if anyone here will feel at all compelled to see this movie when it is released?

http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/

EDIT: BTW-Biggles:

Just as a matter of interest, why doesn&#39;t Fox doorstep Moore?

Wouldn&#39;t work, he&#39;d know what was up-he&#39;s not totally stupid.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Originally posted by j2k4@11 July 2004 - 10:25
    I wonder if anyone here will feel at all compelled to see this movie when it is released?

http://www.michaelmoorehatesamerica.com/

What watch that bush funded republican propoganda piece of rubbish ????????? (read the sarcastic humour and don&#39;t take that seriously)

Actually i have to say that i have just about as much intention of watching this as i did with 911....absolutely none...so i won&#39;t be able to pass judgement on this one either

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345