Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Telling Noobs To Read The Faq:

vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    OK, just another point to throw into the arena....If you respond with just a RTFM, then they may not have realised there was a FM, so maybe it'd be nice to also add "its at the top of the page" or even to make the smilie a hyperlink?
    <insert signature here>

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #12
    Forum Star
    There was a debate about this already a short while ago, here.
    I believe most members agreed on using :rtfaq: for guests and newbies, and :rtfm: for older members.
    I could be wrong, but maybe some older members didn&#39;t see this debate? :-"

I agree with the previous posts that if you answer, do the trouble of posting something more than a smiley, and if it annoys you don&#39;t answer at all. B)

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #13
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    ok bender, i seen that post but never entered, because the title was "can anyone make" and as i cant make emoticons i never ventured in there. but i just think its getting out of hand now, soon all questions buy everyone will be replied with :rtfm: especially if it keeps getting added to with the subjects on this forum.

If this happens why have a forum, just have a faq page then noobs wont get shouted at, as that is what it sounds like to me, when someone uses the icon.

Ok, ive made my point, and i dont like the way its being implemented at the moment, all it is, is spamming the board, but instead of pointless post it acctually looks like they are helping, but they arnet they are just to lazy to reply properly.

and yeah ive seen loads of posts about the same topic/prob, but it seems that since the board changed around and you cant browse all the topics as they arnet on the board, well just if you do a search you can find them. 1 out of 20 might have some usefull information on though so post a link to that instead of just the icon.

ok im going to let this run for awhile see what sort of replies it gets.

stoi

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #14
    Forum Star
    I think you misunderstood me, stoi.

In my reply on your topic I was refering to other members, the ones who use the &#39;wrong&#39; smiley all the time, I was not saying that you didn&#39;t read the other topic.

Maybe I should have been clearer on that, sorry.

edit: I have no problem with this topic, I think it&#39;s a good idea to remind those &#39;other&#39; members not to misuse that smiley.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #15
    私は日本語を知らない。
    I personally like seeing :rtfm: & :rtfaq: posted to questions that are easily found in the FAQ. I always consult the FAQ before I ask questions about anything I don&#39;t know why others can&#39;t do it. Do they think there above doing that?

Its not hard to search for an answer in the FAQ before posting here. Although perhaps a link should be supplied when those are used.

Last people who did read the FAQ and couldn&#39;t find an answer should mention that in there post. Also people who claim to have read it and didn&#39;t are usually easily distinguished and should be beaten with a lead pipe.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #16
    Poster
    Originally posted by Krisman@19 March 2003 - 01:17
    I personally like seeing :rtfm: & :rtfaq: posted to questions that are easily found in the FAQ. I always consult the FAQ before I ask questions about anything I don&#39;t know why others can&#39;t do it. Do they think there above doing that?

Its not hard to search for an answer in the FAQ before posting here. Although perhaps a link should be supplied when those are used.

Last people who did read the FAQ and couldn&#39;t find an answer should mention that in there post. Also people who claim to have read it and didn&#39;t are usually easily distinguished and should be beaten with a lead pipe.
    Bit Harsh, don&#39;t you think.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #17
    Poster
    i know somebody else gave this answer but i can not think who it was but let us older newbies help out the real novices so encourge this ones to post and in turn help others... i too have posted some dumb questions as i am sure we are all guilty of this but hey if nobody posted for fear of getting the wrong answer back then this place will become very boring for all.
    so you multi star people just chill and lets us eager ones that want to help,,,help if you feel that we still have answered it 100% say after 1-2days then feel free to do so

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #18
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Krisman@18 March 2003 - 19:17
    Its not hard to search for an answer in the FAQ before posting here.
    No, its not hard. However people are lazy. You&#39;ll wear out your keyboard telling the newbies to use the damn search button. Any they still won&#39;t hear you. Its a losing battle. Don&#39;t stress it.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #19
    私は日本語を知らない。
    Originally posted by JmiF+18 March 2003 - 16:30--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JmiF @ 18 March 2003 - 16:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Krisman@19 March 2003 - 01:17
    I personally like seeing&nbsp; :rtfm: & :rtfaq: posted to questions that are easily found in the FAQ. I always consult the FAQ before I ask questions about anything I don&#39;t know why others can&#39;t do it. Do they think there above doing that?

Bit Harsh, don&#39;t you think.[/b]

Which part is harsh? The lead pipe because if you have a problem with that I may have to beat you with one too, I&#39;m not sure about that though I&#39;ll have to check what the Scorched Earth Party FAQ says.
    Actually I&#39;m kidding about beating you and maybe I was a little harsh with the idea of beating those who don&#39;t read it and claim they did.

<!--QuoteBegin--Jibbler
    @18 March 2003 - 17:38
    No, its not hard. However people are lazy. You&#39;ll wear out your keyboard telling the newbies to use the damn search button. Any they still won&#39;t hear you. Its a losing battle.[/quote]
    Thats true I suppose.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #20
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    Well, I sort of liked the rtfm smiley at first, but I do see it popping up more frequently than it should, but tell the truth, I&#39;ve NEVER read the faq. I&#39;ve read board messages, but I&#39;m more of the type to keep screwing with it until it works or I completely destroy it.

As for imploring the &#39;old timers&#39; to give some breathing room to the newer members so that they can help noobs that ask questions with simple answers, I don&#39;t think you&#39;re going to have much luck.

Despite all their protestations and complaints of post whores, they are striving toward that goal with reckless abandon.....made all that much simpler by....... :rtfm:

So, now just have to wait and see what happens.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash, and it's gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast