Thread: When Replacing Cpu & Mobo....

when you replace the CPU/motheboard and/or BIOS, do you have to reformat C drive?? Or is it doable without too much trouble?
    "If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it's a victory!" -old Irish wisdom

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If you replace CPU (to put in surrent motherboard), it will still boot windows fine.

If you update the bios\downgrade the bios, it will still boot fine.

If you buy a new motherboard, it will boot IF you have the same chipset as before. If it is a new chipset, you will run into problems wiith the drivers, causing many BSODs or it may not startup. Usually a repair instlal of windows xp will work, same for 2000, for any other windows OS a complete format is required.

Why you ask?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    that sir, is classified information! j/k

I&#39;m planning on playing a prank on my cousin, but I would not wanna fuck his shit up, so maybe I won&#39;t do it ...thanks for well written answer It would require a full change of mobo/cpu. (I was going to put my old pentium II in his pc and see what he said ) <---it&#39;s his birthday on sunday
    &quot;If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it&#39;s a victory&#33;&quot; -old Irish wisdom

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Titus808@24 June 2004 - 22:50
    that sir, is classified information&#33; j/k

I&#39;m planning on playing a prank on my cousin, but I would not wanna fuck his shit up, so maybe I won&#39;t do it ...thanks for well written answer It would require a full change of mobo/cpu. (I was going to put my old pentium II in his pc and see what he said ) <---it&#39;s his birthday on sunday
    I good prank is adding the reset command to his startup so when he start his pc it restarts its self
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Oh you kidders, you&#33;

Presumably, screwing his girlfriend is next on the list of hilarious tricks to play on him.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by clocker@26 June 2004 - 01:59
    Oh you kidders, you&#33;

Presumably, screwing his girlfriend is next on the list of hilarious tricks to play on him.
    closely followed by screwing his mom

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by Dray_04+25 June 2004 - 10:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dray_04 @ 25 June 2004 - 10:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-clocker@26 June 2004 - 01:59
    Oh you kidders, you&#33;

closely followed by screwing his mom

[/b][/quote]
    Like the older women eh?
    sick....

Anyway, just make sure that his mobo is the correct socket (probably socket 370)if your just gonna switch the cpu, if your switchin both the cpu and mobo, then just have fun&#33;
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I&#39;m gonna take his case on saturday and just put everything from the old pc in his newer case, This is going to be funny. (and safer, won&#39;t screw up his HD or anything like that.
    &quot;If you expect a kick in the balls, and you get a slap in the face, then it&#39;s a victory&#33;&quot; -old Irish wisdom

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Titus808@25 June 2004 - 12:31
    I&#39;m gonna take his case on saturday and just put everything from the old pc in his newer case, This is going to be funny. (and safer, won&#39;t screw up his HD or anything like that.
    I am sure that I would find it a real knee-slapper if someone crept in and serriptiously gutted Sprocket one day.

Naturally, etiquette would demand that I hunt them down and kill them, but I&#39;m sure I would look back on the prank with a warm chuckle for years to come.

Whatever happened to birthday cards?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    That would be a good prank, i don&#39;t think it will screw anything up switching them around, just that it won&#39;t boot...once switched back it shoudl work fine