Thread: Computer Not Reconizing My Cd-drive...

Alright so last night for some odd reason my computer decided to stop seeing that I had a CD-ROM installed on this piece of crap. My former D: drive no longer shows up in My Computer... and it wont read any discs. The last thing I was doing with it was playing mp3's off a data CD... then it went kaput. Any advice?
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I eat quarters.
    My Hero</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Did you try restarting your computer?

What are the specs of the so called "piece of crap"?
    What operating system are you using?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    and you havn&#39;t had your case open and playing around in it have you??
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Try going to Device Manager and uninstalling the CD drive.
    Then reinstall it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Thats weird, it happened with me to. But only with So Long Astoria. By the band The Ataris. I thought maybe because it is an Enhannced Cd, but it would play it before. When i would insert the Ataris CD, my D: drive would simply disappear, making me restart my computer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    It came back and is working like normal after I re-started... but it&#39;s weird how that happened in the first place. Oh well. Thanks guys&#33; :-D
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I eat quarters.
    My Hero</span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Engvalt@25 June 2004 - 15:53
    It came back and is working like normal after I re-started... but it&#39;s weird how that happened in the first place. Oh well. Thanks guys&#33; :-D
    what orcutt said makes sense...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Haha, i dont know if you are being sarcastic. But does it shut off when you are using enhanced cd&#39;s? If you dont know, have you bought them relatively recently from a major record store? The Ataris signed on to Columbia a while back, so it has an enhanced cd. Look on the case, it would say there, maybe on the actual cd. I know on my Ataris Cd it doesnt.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by orcutt989@26 June 2004 - 11:46
    Haha, i dont know if you are being sarcastic. But does it shut off when you are using enhanced cd&#39;s? If you dont know, have you bought them relatively recently from a major record store? The Ataris signed on to Columbia a while back, so it has an enhanced cd. Look on the case, it would say there, maybe on the actual cd. I know on my Ataris Cd it doesnt.
    nahh, wasn&#39;t being sarcastic at all, you had an idea, and the thread starter found that it was pretty close to what ur idea was, so i say that ur idea makes sense...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Haha, thats sad if all this topic got was one more post. POST BITCHES, OR I&#39;LL CUT YOU.